Author Topic: Opinions on the other brands of embroidery machines  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Opinions on the other brands of embroidery machines
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:06:47 PM »
When I was at the AC ISS I wanted to take some time to look at embroidery machines. I really want to get a single head at the shop so we can get our feet wet with embroidery (and contract out the larger jobs for now). ZSK, Tajima(Toyota), and Barudan seem to hands down have the best rep from everyone.

What about the other brands, my gut says I've never heard of them for a reason. But I still feel compelled to ask as this is still very foreign to me.

Avance' - now being sold by Col Desi (swf east) along with SWF.

SWF - Are they out of business? I read a little while back they were in trouble and didn't see anything from them at the ISS show.

Melco - looks like they have a new version of the Amaya, the EMT16. I do like the idea of linkable machines.

Ultramatic - a broker in my state (Thornton) is now selling them. $7900 for a single head.

Ricoma
Highland
Happy
Brother

Offline tonyt79

Re: Opinions on the other brands of embroidery machines
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »
I have wondered the same thing. I do know that brother no longer makes one that is not considered a hobby machine. When I was looking for my first one it was very hard to look past the cheaper ones like happy but I went with a zsk.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:59:23 PM »
Hands down Barudan first. Tajima Second. Everything else is like shopping at Harbor Freight. I personally own a couple of Barudans both less than two years old and I will put the sew quality up against anything. Worth every penny that was spent.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline BorisB

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:20 AM »
I know few happy Happy owners.

Ricoma: our technician is Ricoma contract technician. But he is unhappy with this deal, because he gets no repair calls. He says Ricomas are loud, not very fast, but they don't break.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
Look used. You can find some good used Tajimas, Toyotas and Barudans.
I would stay away from everything else. Not saying that everything else would break right away, but proven is proven.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
Also, ZSK is pretty good. I believe they were out from an US market for a while, but now it seems they are coming back with a bang.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:35:09 AM »
My experience with ZSK was, it was a great machine. I felt it did flats much better than head wear. Distribution and support was shaky at best. This was almost ten years ago though. Very solid machine. A tank like Tajima.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:37:41 AM »
Barudan and Tajima first easily. 

SWF has always had a rocky support system and supply chain is starting to crumble some.  But good machines. NOT GREAT though. There is a difference.

Happy, mostly nothing terrible ive heard but sew outs are something less than Barudan/Tajima.

ZSK ive never seen any sew outs other than at a trade show and they looked good.

We've covered the single head/multi head talk a 100 times on this board so search for those chats, but I would certainly try whatever you can to get into Barudan or Tajima.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
yup, barudan and tajima first.  i don't know if you can say one is amazingly better than the other...we went with barudan.  Tajima folks seem to think tajima is better.

never seen a ZSK

we've owned Melco and SWF, both were OK.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
As I've mentioned before my tech LOVES Amaya's... They certainly are ridiculously fast.

I don't think you can compare them 1:1 with the other guys... They seem to be made for a different market than they are.  If you don't desire to be an embroidery factory with 100+ heads then they may be the right for for you.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
yup, barudan and tajima first.  i don't know if you can say one is amazingly better than the other...we went with barudan.  Tajima folks seem to think tajima is better.

never seen a ZSK

we've owned Melco and SWF, both were OK.

I think its pretty much a draw on Tajima and Barudan other than small text, almost everyone will tell you a Barudan will do that better.  I would go Barudan just based on who sells them.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
  I have run Tajima and Barudan at the same time. Tajima won. I have also run Tajima and
Happy at the same time. Tajima won again. Tells you something when (in confidentiality of course)
a Happy tech tells you that your older Tajima sitting right next to the Happy is always going to sew
better quality on fine detail and small lettering!