Author Topic: I printed on an automatic press for the first time today  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

I printed on an automatic press for the first time today
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:54:17 AM »
Don't know if anyone been watching the news but I am part of the nation wide strike going on in chemical plants across the country...I personally am not on strike..i am not part of any union...but the union workers at the Shell Chemical plant i work at are on strike...and as long as they are on strike, the contractor I work for is locked out of the plant. So i haven't been to work in three weeks..and a fellow screen printer I know knows I haven't worked in weeks....and I currently have no screen printing jobs either....and his help bailed on him so he called me up asking since im not working and no print jobs would i mind giving him a hand to print 3,000 shirts.... im doing nothing but watching tv living in my pajamas, so i figured i'd help him out.

He is using a 6 color Anatol with a quartz flash....it's an all air press...I've been lending a hand since last thursday cleaning screens and catching shirts off the dryer and boxing.... but today he let me run the press...i printed 16 dozen 5 color design.....it was interesting....i had it set to manual at first so i could control when the press rotates...but about half way thru he put it on auto with a 2 second dwell.....i only had to stop it twice once it was on auto....i was amazed i was able to keep up...i gotta admit i was kinda nervous hahaha....i loaded and unloaded the shirts....and i felt the pressure of the two second dwell hahahah.....but i was rockin and rolling near the end..it got to where i was waiting on the press......

anyway, it was a cool experience......made me never want to print on my 8/8 manual ever again....that one run of shirts got me spoiled hahahah.....we will finish up the 3,000 shirts tomorrow then im back to binge-ing on tv and staying in pajamas...at least i can say i finally worked an automatic press.
Mark

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: I printed on an automatic press for the first time today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
Good deal Mark Anatol makes some pretty nice equipment...plus ain't nothing to it once you get the hang of it, hope you get back to work soon ;)

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
Thats awesome! I guess I'm a virgin too haha...

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:32 AM »
the press is an anatol horizon btw.
Mark

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
the press is an anatol horizon btw.

Too bad it wasn't a Sportsman, this thread would be busting out at the seams!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
Hey Mark, if you want a lot more practice on an auto stop by. Or if you want more time on pre press or reclaim, Heck, I'll use you on the dryer.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
Welcome to the efficient way of producing shirts.  Our beater Javelin took us from dreading 50 shirt orders to actively searching for 250 shirt orders.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Yep, we turned around a 900 pcs 5 color job (w/ underbase) without even thinking about it a few months back.  I sat back just recently and thought... Damn, we didn't blink an eye.  I'd have subbed that out before.

Auto made me $1k NET on that job alone.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
Just about any auto will upgrade your production for sure, we knock out 72 to 250 fast and I have the rest of the day to play grab azz with the old lady, do art, clean screens etc.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
I gotta say Daryl, I like your business model, LOL

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
"Once you go automatic, you'll never want to go back."  - ancient screen printer proverb
Scott Garnett
King Screen

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »
Hey Mark, if you want a lot more practice on an auto stop by. Or if you want more time on pre press or reclaim, Heck, I'll use you on the dryer.

im in new orleans....don't think i'd make my way up to you anytime soon hahha..no road trips for me.
Mark