Author Topic: Greaves On Garments at Mind's Eye- SAVE THE DATE  (Read 27551 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Greaves On Garments at Mind's Eye- SAVE THE DATE
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 03:34:13 PM »
I'm in if you have room.  sent email.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
I've worked out all the details so I'm now definitely in.

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 11:45:54 PM »
I'm interested in what people are hoping for.

A beginners weekend is probably below the level of this crowd.

Hands on can be very time consuming for those not being taught.

Theory, demonstrations and explanations of science and how invisible things work?

Systems, best practices, tips, work flow and stories of experience.

I would love pre-seminar questions so I can prepare the best demonstrations.
Screen printing since 1979 - SGIA Academy Member
ex Stretch Devices General Manager ex Lawson Supply Director
ex Screen Printing columnist 1985-1995  ex Printwear Technical Editor 1995-1999
retired Ulano Technical Product Manager
Wyandotte, MI  646-807-8580 rgreaves@gmail.com

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 02:46:43 AM »
I'm interested in what people are hoping for.

A beginners weekend is probably below the level of this crowd.

Hands on can be very time consuming for those not being taught.

Theory, demonstrations and explanations of science and how invisible things work?

I would love pre-seminar questions so I can prepare the best demonstrations.

I would Really Encourage ANYONE Who Wants To Greatly Enhance Their Screen Printing Skills In A Most Profound
Way! Go See, Listen, And Enjoy Time Spent With Richard Greaves. He Has Forgotten More, Than Most Of Us Will Ever
Hope To Know. I First Came Across Mr. Greaves Writings, Teachings, Thoughts, etc. (The Screen Police) In The Mid To Late
1980's. For Screen Printing In General, But A Real "Rocketship" For Textiles In My Opinion Was From The Late 70's to the Mid to
Late 90's. A Time Like No Other, And Will Never Be Again. IMHO! During This Time Textile Printing Went From A Bunch Of Artist, Craftsmen
To A New Way Of Production. Richard Help Bring Measurable Sanity To A Crazy Process. He Came Up With Systems. Common Sense
Solutions, New Ways Of Thinking About A Very, Very Old Process. It Caught My, As Well As Most Others Attention. Life Was Good For Most.
It Was Very Pre InterNet. I First Met Richard, Working With Some Really Smart, Talented Guys In Miami. We Were Heading To Europe To
Conquer, Share, The Textile Screen Printing World In The Mid 90's. Showing The Rest Of The World How The Americans Do It! Richard Shows
Up With A Giant Yellow Euro Plastic Case With His Literature, Clothes, Stuff, etc.  I Said Are You Staying Forever? Maybe! He Was All Over The
Place Sharing His Knowledge. People Loved Him, They Learned A lot! We All Did. In These Days And Times What Is Old, Has Become New Again.
Printers Today Should Run To Learn From This Guy, He Is Fun! You Will Have A Good Time. Your Skills And Business Will Profit And Grow.
Richard, I am Glad to See You Still At It !
Regards,
Winston(Winnie) Strickland

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:17 AM »

YES! to both of these...  anything I can integrate into our steadily growing shop will help make us more efficient and profitable.

one thing that I'd love to see and understand is the whole 'stiff squeegee, nearly straight up, and fast stroke' speed deal... we've tried this multiple times and have never been able to get a great ink lay down....  so we end up defaulting to higher pressure a bit slower stroke and more angle, but I'd love to understand what it takes to make this work.

... I should add that I typically learn better by watching and hearing, so hands-on type stuff isn't a huge deal in my book... would rather learn more information, than doing it there.  But honestly, I'm open to whatever, because I know that I'll learn a LOT no matter what it is.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:15:56 AM by jvanick »

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
Cost?  Still openings?  May send Shelly up.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »

Yes please!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 08:55:32 AM »
When it comes to screen printing...in general...knowledge trumps experience in most every way so hands-on training is good, but it's certainly not something that HAS to be a part of the process, in my humble opinion.  My experience with doing workshops (mainly entry level but some advanced) is most people really want to come in and get their hands dirty but whenever there is more than 2 or 3 people involved it takes away from the most important part, sharing KNOWLEDGE.  I believe that I could take someone with zero experience and has never touched a squeegee blade and within a few days I could teach them what they need to know and they could get out there and do more than someone that was at the same level but had the same time period of nothing but hands-on type training.

Really wish I could make it to something like this, sounds like Disney World for Screen Printers.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
With my 6 years of experience I doubt Richard Greaves could teach me very much.

SNORT!!!! 

Actually.... I have ONE year of experience, SIX TIMES!!  I don't hardly even know what I need.  I've been to a number of workshops and I pick something up at EVERY one. But I've never been able to connect with any of the gatherings where a bunch of TSB guys show up.

I'll plan to bring 2 ears, 2 eyes, but only 1 (one) mouth.  Anything Mister Greaves wants to cover in the presence of YOU people will suit me juuuust fine!

And I'd love just to be in Greg Kitson's shop and see how things are done. My typical day is a comedy of errors, and wasted steps.  I've never even been in anyone else's shop...at least one where I felt comfortable snooping around and asking questions.

I can hardly wait!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
If you walk through Greg's facility with open eyes and ears, you will learn plenty from that alone. Great facility, great equipment and procedures. Great people! And then there is Mr. Greaves and the workshop. What a great opportunity. I hope to see y'all there.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
this sounds amazing. i have a little one due first week of april. if everything goes smooth with the wifey, i would love to attend. is there a cut-off you would have to know if there is still room??

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »

Lots and lots of this please. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
OK, OK, OK,,,,,,

It was just a SAVE THE DATE notice with the hope of some more time to get details in order, kind of like a wedding SAVE THE DATE where the bridesmaids have not been picked yet! 

With that said, Richard and I are working the details, it will be Thursday night April 30 social/card/other 6-9 PM, Friday May 1 from 9-5 classes, BBQ cookout Friday night at MEG, Sat May 2 classes from 9-noon with afternoon Q&A (bitch & moan).  Doors to close at 4 PM

Food included will be snacks on Thursday night as well as during both days, coffee, juice & rolls each morning, working catered lunch on Friday & Saturday and the soon to be worlds famous MEG Friday night Networking BBQ sugar & carb calorie explosion.

I am updating housing cost and airport info docs, meals costs and will have an event cost by EOB on Friday the 20th, 

Richard is spinning his presentation material/selection based on comments on the boards as well as quite a bit of PM and outside e-mail traffic, agenda will be ready to share by EOB on Friday the 20th also.

Other random questions,   -

What kind of poker you play is up to you, I like blackjack.   

Friday night Poker also?  If you can keep the BBQ sauce off my cards & chips you are welcome to.

Yes, you can sort through my surplus 'stuff' pile and if we agree on a price you can take stuff home with you.   

Will vendors be allowed to attend?  Yes and samples may be involved, you may owe them a sponsorship Thank You as a means of keeping meeting cost under control.

Will I limit number of attendees? Yes, in order to make the experience better for those who attend, class size limit is being determined, first payment gets a seat, if you have emailed me an intention to participate you get first crack, but you see schedule before I run your CC.

Will I prevent 'certain people' from attending?   My house my rules, everybody play nice.

Are you going to do this again in the future?  Depends on feed back from initial event.

Are you going on the road in the future to be closer to my shop?  Not planning on it, but nothing keeps others from being inspired to hold similar sessions,  May change my mind based on feedback after first session.

Do I get a discount for multiple member of my staff attending?  Yes currently being determined.

Is this a TSB only event?  Nope, the Richard & Greg show, I have invited others but have not thrown out an open invitation.  TSB is the only forum I have publicly

discussed the event.

Hope the answers some questions and buys me some time.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 10:07:57 AM »
Ok I may be getting into something I will heavily regret here BUT, I have heard from a few people about possibly sharing a ride from Chicago to MEG(Greg, really, who doesn't live by a major airport!!?? ;D ) I can look into a church van or soccer van or whatever you like to call them. But people would need to inbox me if you would like to hitch a ride. We would have to leave the Chicago area(I fly into Chicago O'Hare) around 2 or so. Travel light as Mr. Bimmridder has already informed me that his beer cooler will take precedence over someones shoe suitcase(sqslabs and Gilligan I'm looking at you). I had planned on driving back early Sunday, but if other people would rather a later departure, I may fly out of the 4 gate airport near MEG.

Like I said if this sounds like your way of re living those cool road trips you missed in college, or maybe you want to show everyone how it is done, inbox me and we will see if it makes sense to put something together.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
this sounds amazing. i have a little one due first week of april. if everything goes smooth with the wifey, i would love to attend. is there a cut-off you would have to know if there is still room??

If you are interested in going there Thursday and coming back on Friday evening, let me know.
I'm seriously interested, but staying there on Saturday might be a problem for me. We could ride together if that will work for you.

Let me know