Author Topic: Our latest DIY project-a screen coating stand.  (Read 10058 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Our latest DIY project-a screen coating stand.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
I have almost always coated using one hand to hold the frame at the top in the center, and do the same thing with the coater, just one hand centered.  I tip the screen very slightly away from the coater while coating, and at the top tip it slightly toward the coater while always changing the coater angle like you see in that video.  quick, easy, no mess or drips, even coating.  I kind of can't imagine using both hands on the coater any more.

For a time I had an angled catch like you see lots of people using, something to hold the base and resting the top against something, though the bottom of mine was spring loaded and there was a stop on the top.  It worked well enough, but it resulted in more drips and was slower than just doing it completely by hand.  The only one of my screens I use both hands on the coater is for my 58x46 inch frame, but honestly I could probably even coat that with one hand without that much trouble.  The frame is heavy enough that I just lean it against a wall and it doesnt move.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
Wow!  This looks great.  Can you post a photo of the hinge/spring mechanism?

Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:42 PM »
That looks familiar. Had this for more than 15 ys

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 02:15:31 PM »
Where is this semi-auto version of the Vastex? That's a pretty slick idea but I think if you automated the screen moving up/down isn't that just a couple steps away from fully automating?

I like the wall mount C-100 from Vastex, it looks simple, cheap and adjustable.  I was going to build one but for $300 and having adjustable height for different bodies coating I'm going to grab the vastex so long as it works with M3 rollers.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
Where is this semi-auto version of the Vastex? That's a pretty slick idea but I think if you automated the screen moving up/down isn't that just a couple steps away from fully automating?

I like the wall mount C-100 from Vastex, it looks simple, cheap and adjustable.  I was going to build one but for $300 and having adjustable height for different bodies coating I'm going to grab the vastex so long as it works with M3 rollers.

I'm kind of with you there... but as you see it's pretty darn simple.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153270851156004

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the link, I like it. Reduces fatigue, eliminates the speed of the coating trough as a variable.   Price needs to be right though or it would make more sense to just pony up for an actual auto coater.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the link, I like it. Reduces fatigue, eliminates the speed of the coating trough as a variable.   Price needs to be right though or it would make more sense to just pony up for an actual auto coater.

Or build one... can't be much to it.  Foot pedals to trigger motor up and one for down and a couple of knobs for speed of said motors.  Basically could be built with an arduino and some drivers for the motors and Bob's your uncle!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
And probably a small transmission to get the torque right and all.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »
Gilly beat me with the link.

Yeah, so for the less mechanically inclined people who are drooling, the Vastex one is $365 (need to be mounted to something, such as a wall) and an additional $125 for the stand.

The semi-automatic is amazing. I saw it in AC and if I wasn't a cap film user would have bought it on site. Being able to easily hold the scoop coater with consistent pressure, while the screen drops towards you is great. No wrist curling, no accidental increase in pressure against the screen. It was somewhere between $1000-1500. I really want to say it was $1300. Give Vastex a call to confirm. If I ever go back to emulsion, this will be an immediate purchase for me.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 01:17:44 AM »
That's not a bad price at all.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
I'm having my prod manager evaluate getting the C-1000, it's $1500, flyer attached.   I think it could add a lot of consistency and ease repetitive strain without spending 15 large for a full auto.

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 04:19:52 AM »
$0 investment.  Just some scrap wood I had laying around after I built a few rolling tables.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
I am just curious, am I the only hammerhead coating screens one handed?
Started this way from day one...... it is quite easy or so it seems but I really do not know any different.
Glisten method with an 18" coater filled to the gunwales.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
Pretty easy w/ 18" one handed even with 23X31's.
I find it helps to stand perpendicular or to the side of frame.

Me and Mooseman have pipes!
I guess it's from my many wrist curls in the old baseball days.   ::)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »
I am just curious, am I the only hammerhead coating screens one handed?
Started this way from day one...... it is quite easy or so it seems but I really do not know any different.
Glisten method with an 18" coater filled to the gunwales.
mooseman
I have thought the same thing! Here at work they kept asking for a stand/shelf, couldn't wrap my head around it! We made one and I can't coat a screen with 2 hands to save my life! ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com