Author Topic: Tips/tricks?  (Read 3494 times)

Offline travis.hoyme

• Verified/Junior
Tips/tricks?
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:25:01 AM »
First simulated print job.  What do you think?  Any tips/tricks I should know about?

The first pic is printed on Lt. Blue, and the following is on Oxford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Tips/tricks?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
wow... if that's your first print job, I can't wait to see your 10th or 50th...  better than a lot of the work that I see out there.
that looks great!

who did your seps?

Offline travis.hoyme

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
I did them.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
looks much better then my first try!

Can you post some close ups? early on ppl are usually missing the smaller dots in the fade outs. That would be obvious from the close up. Also, what does the original look like?

What are you using for mesh, lpi, angles and so on . . . ?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline travis.hoyme

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:28 AM »

Here is a close up.

I'm using 230 underbase, 280 for top colors.

Offline travis.hoyme

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
45lpi / 23 angle for all.

Offline travis.hoyme

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
Here is the original.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
Travis,

that looks pretty good even if it was not just the first try. Most customers would be perfectly happy with it.

OK, so there is always room for improvement. I would start here:
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,8018.0.html
print that film, expose the screen and then print it on a shirt. It will give you an idea of what needs work. You might need to make adjustments to your RIP to make sure you are not closing in (turning from halftone to solid) before 95%-97%. If you can print 5%-90% after making those adjustments, you sorted out the hardest part.
Next step would be to learn the little separations tricks. For example, there are places here where you can overprint the white halftone to create the lighter shades of the color and get smoother transitions (the stars on the bottom for example).

Judging by the first print, you are on the right track. Keep working on it and it will get even better.

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
The center of the image looks great!  It may just be the photo, or how it was sepped, or maybe it is intended, but the text and the fire look "fuzzy".  Not sure if they were supposed to have solid black outlines and those got halftoned or if the effect was intended, but that would be my only critique

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
As Pierre said, you are certainly on the right track. When comparing the original with the print, I can see tweaks I would make, such as the dot gain in the black is eradicating the stars in the circle pretty much, and other areas are slightly filled, but dialing that back in the separations is easy enough. With that said, an excellent first try, in fact a pretty good 10th try...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline travis.hoyme

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
Keep in mind that I'm working with a 6color press also

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »
Keep in mind that I'm working with a 6color press also

you can do a lot with 6 colors. We are on an 8 color auto so after the flash it leaves us with 7 colors. In last 6 years I turned down 3 jobs because we did not have enough heads. Don't let that hold you back.

pierre

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
I've sepped a ton of 6 color jobs, and you can do a lot with just 6. Improving your techniques on a 6 color will make you super prepared when you step up and have more colors at your disposal. Of course, that's when all the 2 a 3 color jobs will come in...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't