Author Topic: Static frames are better than retensionable  (Read 4707 times)

Offline starchild

Re: Static frames are better than retensionable
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »
I agree statistics are better than retentionables provided certain conditions are met:

The mesh being used should be an low elongation mesh and preferably balanced.

The stretcher/supplier must provide the percentage of elongation warp and weft and guarantee there are no areas of isolated tensions or imbalanced open area and imbalanced threads.

The printer should be able to easily look up the tension tolerance for given mesh (as well as other specs) and feel confident that if he uses his mesh calculator and tension meter that every thing is on point as above..  (Every printer should want to use this info to set off contact,  select blade width as well as duro and edge type etc)

Now if you can get statics with these features at industry prices then retens can get a smack down.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
Here's an idea...

I love it. On the other hand, as one of the really old guys here, I printed gazillions of t's with wood frames in the '70's and '80's. Great thread so far.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »
That's all we have ever used here. H2o don't care

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
I agree statistics are better than retentionables provided certain conditions are met:

The mesh being used should be an low elongation mesh and preferably balanced.

The stretcher/supplier must provide the percentage of elongation warp and weft and guarantee there are no areas of isolated tensions or imbalanced open area and imbalanced threads.

The printer should be able to easily look up the tension tolerance for given mesh (as well as other specs) and feel confident that if he uses his mesh calculator and tension meter that every thing is on point as above..  (Every printer should want to use this info to set off contact,  select blade width as well as duro and edge type etc)

Now if you can get statics with these features at industry prices then retens can get a smack down.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you're being tongue in cheek or serious here ;)

but I just recently learned from Richard Greaves about dealing with statics and less-tension by adding off-contact... never really realized the "why" it worked before until I learned about static tension vs dynamic tension. -- I mean it makes great sense once you think about it, but until you really think in that deep of detail, you never realize it.