Author Topic: IT'S MASTERS WEEK!!!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
IT'S MASTERS WEEK!!!
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
I know I'll probably be talking to myself on this thread, but I'm a golf junkie even though I get to play maybe 10-15 rounds per year the last few years, but I still love watching the pros as much as I ever have.  I was once a low single-digit handicap and right now I'd struggle to break 90 on some tougher courses but on some of the more open courses I've played a lot I think I could get in the low 80's.  But this week is my favorite, with the Open week being my second favorite.  I hope it's a great tournament this year and hopefully a good story ends up winning it and hopefully it's someone that will stick around and be on the scene for many years to come.  I hate it when a guy wins a major and then you don't even see his name on the leaderboard for a year or two, it really bothers me.  I don't necessarily want Tiger, Rory or Phil to trade major wins but if a young player breaks out with a win, I would hope they wouldn't get lazy and fade away till/if they get the fire back.

Reason I love the Open (well, there are many) is I get up at 4:30-5am and start watching and if I can get to a golf course and watch it in the pro shop even better, but I haven't done that in many years.  There is something about watching guys play in some of the worst conditions that gets me going.  Maybe it's because of all the times I've had a Sunday morning tee time and the fact that I don't get to play often means I won't be canceling if the weather is bad, or horrendous, or downright ridiculous to play in.  I've played in 40mph winds, 35 degrees with wind chills in the teens, rain, even played golf in a random snow storm that popped up one morning.  I have pics of that day on one of my old phones I think, maybe I can round those up.  There are few things more humbling than puring a 7-iron that normally will carry 170 and measuring it with GPS to see that it only went 100 yards.  I know the wind isn't normally/traditionally that bad here in Central Texas but I think people would be surprised how bad it is on a lot of the courses that aren't protected by the hill country and are surrounded by corn fields.  Playing in a 2-club wind is almost always a certain, with the chance of a 3 or 4-club wind reasonably likely most of the year.  The courses around here all seem to have been built with a north/south wind in mind and I've played some rounds where it seemed like we were into the wind on 14 of the 18 holes but the course wasn't laid out that way.

Enough of my babble, anyone else like golf or in particular the Masters?  Who ya got winning it?  I'll take Spieth with Rory in the hunt and Dustin Johnson as my dark horse. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Alex M

• !!!
Re: IT'S MASTERS WEEK!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:47:22 PM »
Not alone my friend. I love the game. Won't get to watch this week. .. In India.
Did you see the play off holes on Easter??? Was a great way to end the tournament.
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:59:15 PM »
...I am located in Augusta, the course is about 10 mins down the main road from here. Many homeowners here rent out their homes for the week, usually making enough to pay the house note for half the year, or more, and still pay for the weeks vacation too. I have considered it, but usually the shop here is balls-out busy by then, and I couldn't leave if I wanted to. Still, I stay outta that side of town at all costs for the week.

...back in the late 80's, one of the shops here went to court with the National, and the result was the course getting several copyrights that tee vendors could no longer take advantage of. At some point, the course tried to copyright "Augusta" but was shot down on that one. That shop was most recently less than a quarter-mile from here, and just shut down/retired less than a month ago. We have seen a noticeable uptick in business as a result.

...This winter, I ran a special, 10% off all F&B/hospitality orders for Masters Week gear...in addition to the discount, we house the goods here for free, and do not invoice until after the tournament. (this was an attempt to alleviate some of the last-minute rush orders we do the week before, as well as to fill some production time in the slow jan/feb months). Of course, NOT ONE business took advantage, even the ones we deal with every year... >:(

...not sure where I was even going with this...I saw the subject matter and got all excited   ;D

Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
i'll be a watchin!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
...I am located in Augusta, the course is about 10 mins down the main road from here. Many homeowners here rent out their homes for the week, usually making enough to pay the house note for half the year, or more, and still pay for the weeks vacation too. I have considered it, but usually the shop here is balls-out busy by then, and I couldn't leave if I wanted to. Still, I stay outta that side of town at all costs for the week.

...back in the late 80's, one of the shops here went to court with the National, and the result was the course getting several copyrights that tee vendors could no longer take advantage of. At some point, the course tried to copyright "Augusta" but was shot down on that one. That shop was most recently less than a quarter-mile from here, and just shut down/retired less than a month ago. We have seen a noticeable uptick in business as a result.

...This winter, I ran a special, 10% off all F&B/hospitality orders for Masters Week gear...in addition to the discount, we house the goods here for free, and do not invoice until after the tournament. (this was an attempt to alleviate some of the last-minute rush orders we do the week before, as well as to fill some production time in the slow jan/feb months). Of course, NOT ONE business took advantage, even the ones we deal with every year... >:(

...not sure where I was even going with this...I saw the subject matter and got all excited   ;D

When I finally win tickets (the lottery type system they do for the patrons) that I've been working on for 5 years, I know where I'm staying :).  I'll just make me a little pallet down near the press and I'll do some preventative maintenance on your press while I'm under there.  Just kidding on all of that, sort of.

Alex, I only got to watch the replays on the Golf Channel because I was visiting/working out at my parents house on Sunday.  I really want Jordan to start winning majors because I think he's simply a great person and would be a tremendous role model for the youngsters out there.  I think he's a guy that doesn't have the flaws that we've seen with a lot of sports superstars, but I guess I could be wrong and he might be an A-hole behind the scenes.  But something about him seems like he's got it all together.  Ben Crenshaw mentioned how he felt when he first met Jordan and it was an awesome quote.  He said that it felt like he was looking into Wyatt Earp's eyes when he first met him and that there was something really special about that kid. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 12:54:46 PM »
i usually have my phone taped to the press while printing...

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
....yknow, I've lived here since '78, and I've never been myself. I do need to get in on the lottery for tickets, but never really looked into how to go about it.

...tell ya what, you score tickets and you can stay at my place (I have extra bedrooms), in exchange for one days use of tickets. And you don't even have to work on my press (but I sure would appreciate it, don't you have that fancy levelling tool Action sells?)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
eff it, i'd rent out the house and live at the shop for a week...take showers at the gym...BOOM

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 01:55:04 PM »
I just want to see Tiger make the Cut ...
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
Love the Masters!!  Have been numerous times from 1989 to 2013 thanks to a fine gentlemen Mr. Don Pettry - God rest his soul.  Don is considered the Godfather of plastisols for screenprinting apparel well over 50 years ago for Russell Mills while working with Flexible Products Co (Wilflex brand - now PolyOne).

It is the most awesome experience.  Pictures and TV do it no justice!  My most memorable live -- Watching Scott Hoch miss the 3 footer on the first playoff hole against Nick Faldo.  Then the next year, Ray Floyd in a playoff against Nick Faldo, dumped the approach in the water on the second playoff hole #11 - sealing the back to back Green Jacket for Faldo.  Probably my most favorite player to follow - Seve Ballesteros.  Man was he passionate and could he work a ball out of trouble!  Fiery!  God rest his soul too!  And of course Tiger's first Green Jacket in 97 when he completely lapped the field!

Good stuff!!
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
I went last year to a practice round, and I can tell you it is absolutely pristine. The place is unlike any other. The grass looks so perfect, it looks fake. The food is really good and really cheap. If you get the opportunity to go, go!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
Alan...it seems like they are rubbing it in! LOL

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
I really enjoy reading the stories, just makes me want to go even more than I already do.  Unbelievable Rob, to have seen Seve stalk the grounds and the other things you've seen there, simply amazing experiences that most of us only dream about. 

I took my 5 year old son to the park by our house yesterday to hit golf balls.  He hit about 50 practice balls off the tee.  I got him a little driver and a putter.  I hope he starts to build a love to play.  I didn't start playing till I was in my late 20's, and I got the bug bad.  I wish I would have started when I was a kid, but there weren't too many places to play where I grew up, and it wasn't something that was very popular then either. 

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:21 PM »
It's sad I used to play 3-5 times a week, had a 2 handicap along with my pga teaching card....... Then my business started to take off and guess how many rounds of golf I've played in the last 4 years? 2 nine hole rounds!!!! I could hit a golf ball off my back porch onto the 9th hole where I live and can't even make the time to go play there, sad...... LOL

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »
They're playing some great golf.
So slow, almost like cricket.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.