Author Topic: Any suggestions? Halftones making edge wobbly.  (Read 1885 times)

Offline artguy

• Verified/Junior
Any suggestions? Halftones making edge wobbly.
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »
Hi there Everybody,
I just came upon a little problem with a film I was printing and was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions on how to make these edges not wobbly. Change screen angle (without making moire)?...have a trap (yes, but how to cover up wobblies)?...etc?
I appreciate it guys  8). attached is the pic
Thanks,
Adrian

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Any suggestions? Halftones making edge wobbly.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:41:20 PM »
What I'm seeing is merely the white spaces between the dots meeting up with the white space between the pie slices.
Can you get away with outlining the wedges? Otherwise, I see no way with this size dot to not have this visible.
It's the same problem I have when I have a tiny area on a halftoned full size back that they then also want reduced for the breast.
Same size dots, just a lot fewer of them now filling the shape, and yes, it cam get jaggedy.

Then again, I am far from a dot expert, and in fact, hardly touch my RIP.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
What LPI is that? The higher you go the less visible it is. A dot can only simulate so much of a percentage of color.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
You could use the bitmap method to make the angle of the halftones different for each slice where this is an issue, or as frog suggested, outline very lightly.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
the only way I see to fix that is to do each slice by itself, instead of trying to halftone the whole circle at once.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
What LPI is that? The higher you go the less visible it is. A dot can only simulate so much of a percentage of color.

Am curious myself.  Looks big, almost like 25 or 30.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »
you could also do your halftones in photoshop in a full circle, and then 'cut' your sections out of the full halftone circle, that way you'd get 'half' a dot or whatever the angle cuts it at.

Offline artguy

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
Wow thanks guys! I appreciate the suggestions.

This is a 50 lpi, 22.5 degree screen angle, eliptical dot rip (AccuRip) and it's a close up picture. It is about 2" dia. in actual size. Yes there will be a trap in those lines. Actual art is a gradiated orange (white glow in middle) ball with white lines slicing it up into pieces. I thought just putting those traps down would hopefully make the difference, but I don't know if that would be the solution or should I try altering screen angles? just not sure. Maybe I'm overthinking this a bit.
Thanks for all you help,
-Adrian

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
Wow thanks guys! I appreciate the suggestions.

This is a 50 lpi, 22.5 degree screen angle, eliptical dot rip (AccuRip) and it's a close up picture. It is about 2" dia. in actual size. Yes there will be a trap in those lines. Actual art is a gradiated orange (white glow in middle) ball with white lines slicing it up into pieces. I thought just putting those traps down would hopefully make the difference, but I don't know if that would be the solution or should I try altering screen angles? just not sure. Maybe I'm overthinking this a bit.
Thanks for all you help,
-Adrian

I think that whatever you do, I believe that given the parameters you spelled out, especially the very small size, you will always have some of those dots or spaces between cut off by the white lines and get this effect.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
I would think with a 55 lpi and a 2" size that you may not even notice it when it hits the tee.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »
What is the percentage of color in the art? Try changing that and go to a 55lpi.  As mentioned a lit of that will not be as noticeable once burned and printed.

Richard Reilly - Fluid

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ®