Author Topic: Studying too hard?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
Studying too hard?
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
Are the large comic halftones making a comeback or am I studying separation techniques too much? I keep seeing the large halftones in tv ads and some news shows. Have they always been there and I'm just now noticing?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Studying too hard?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
I think that it's always been a popular effect, really taken to the max in the late '60's (on screened prints. in fact)
Interestingly for me, I worked in a shop that did billboards, so for me, I was always around "in your face" sized dots.

But yes, with programs like Rasterbator, there seems to be a renewed interest.
Isn't art (and fashion) always recycling trends?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
This site is like the red pill for screen printers. Hanging out with the masters of the industry has me noticing things that I never saw before. I'm more interested in the screen printed shirt than the girl wearing it. Which is kinda sad if you think about it.  I went over to the embroidery dept. and saw Barudan used halftones on the control board. I'm seeing them everywhere. I can't wait to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.  This morning I looked outside and saw the trees covered in elliptical dots. My wife is certain that they are just leaves but we know the truth.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
As I said, the billboard thing was interesting, as when up close and personal with some, all discernible image was lost, replaced by a somewhat abstract design of dots.

Some of these made great wallpaper, though I'm still occasionally haunted by the large dotted image of Jon "Bowzer" Bauman, and Sha Na Na staring down at me from the wall of the attic loft which was my bedroom in the mid '70's

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
I have read that about large billboards but have never been that close to one. I did learn the "looks good from a distance" rule when we started printing banners.  A 12' long banner in high resolution takes a while to print.

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »
This site is like the red pill for screen printers. Hanging out with the masters of the industry has me noticing things that I never saw before. I'm more interested in the screen printed shirt than the girl wearing it. Which is kinda sad if you think about it.

Smdh.. This is 100% spot on bra..

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »
I'm more interested in the screen printed shirt than the girl wearing it. Which is kinda sad if you think about it.
:
Perhaps I'm a little jaded, but I'm noticing the girl!  :P