Author Topic: Discharging Rayon?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Discharging Rayon?
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »
we have a customer looking for the softest possible print on a 65/35 blend. 65 is bamboo based rayon and 35 is cotton.

Anybody here with experience discharging those? I am hoping that the rayon works well as it is not a man made fiber. Black or dark gray garments so at least color-wise we should be OK.

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Discharging Rayon?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
Haven't printed these, but most triblends include rayon, and many of those discharge really well.  Since most of those are 50% cotton, 25% rayon and 25% cotton, and on some colors from some brands you can basically get a print that looks exactly like it would on a 100% cotton, I can't image the rayon isn't reacting as well, or else it would only be discharging 50% which I would think would look bad.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
I'd wager yes, but there's only one way to know for sure!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
I know that WB seem to play well with rayon, discharge depends so much on the dye of course.  Gotta test. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »
We run Union's Plasticharge on the Canvas 3413, we didn't think it would work, but it does. With Canvas though, it may be factory dependent as we've found before; something on the order of the shirts from VietNam don't like the flash, the ones from India are OK...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:21:18 AM »
We do a lot of discharge on 50/50's, 60/40 Next Levels, and other crazy blends. High mesh really helps keep it soft. Trying to saturate these types of blends does not really help so your just wasting ink laying it down. As for washability you wont have any issues with the blend.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »
Should discharge but I would check the country of origin and if they are different I would sample them. 

Offline Alien

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »
Discharging Rayon should be no different than discharging Cotton, IF it has been dyed with reactive dyes as is (most) cotton. If dispersed or sulphur dyes have been used your out of luck.  Typically dispersed and sulphur dyes are not use on natural fabrics such as rayon unless they are being overdyed.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
So, rayon can be dyed with the same dyes as cotton due to it's cellulose base prior to being processed? (afterwards considered a semi-synthetic) Pretty interesting, and I guess that explains why the triblend works out better than I would have thought...

Steve

Offline CSPGarrett

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:24 PM »
we will be doing testing with permaset this coming month to deal with fabrics like this along with traditional waterbased prints.
Real Quality Merchandising.  - Printing & Fulfillment Services.  Contract DTG & Screen Printing. www.customshirtprints.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 06:59:17 AM »
Ran some tests and it worked just fine!

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »
Excellent! I didn't know Rayon would discharge at all.

I don't order our shirts though. I'll pass the info along.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 08:45:52 AM »
Excellent! I didn't know Rayon would discharge at all.

I don't order our shirts though. I'll pass the info along.

this might be the case with the garments we tested here. I would not tell your customers that it works without testing first though.

pierre

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »
We also had some pretty good luck on American Apparel BB401, pretty soft, discharged very well...

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
any problems in the dryer? Last time I tried to heat press one with a complicated multi color design it was a real mother pucker!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?