Author Topic: This may surprise some of you  (Read 1425 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
This may surprise some of you
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »
As some know, we had a family tragedy in 2009 and we sold our house (and my print area) in Dec '09.  All the printing stuff went into storage, including some pre-coated (Ulano QTX) screens - we just stuck them in boxes and put in storage.

Tonight I pulled out one of the screens, taped a film to it and exposed if for 18 seconds.  Washed out nearly perfectly.  Would have been perfect but the new (1700 psi) sprayer might be a bit too strong for a 110 screen (Homer, need another door stop?).  But, the image is perfectly usable. 

I know the screens were coated probably several months before they got boxed up. 

Not bad for "coated" screens still being usable in the ballpark of 2 years later, eh?  I know the subject of "how long can you store coated screens" has been discussed on several threads before on various boards.  I'm thinking of calling Ripley's. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: This may surprise some of you
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
Wow.  That is interesting. That makes me wonder if we don't have an opportunity here. To make pre-coated screens, and mail them out to those needing screens coated. They do it with the sale of pre-stretched mesh frames, why not coated screens?  Will you get rich?  No, but it's a niche.  Coat some of them boogers up and store them. When someone orders 6 of the 305's pre-coated, just pull those boogers off the shelf and ship.  I don't know. Maybe it's not fast enough with shipping.  Oh, I know.  You can just offer it locally to larger cities. I know in my own area of central Fl, we probably have 30 screen print shops if not more.  Some of these shops order wood frames that are pre-stretched. Some order metal frames pre-stretched. Why not pre coated?  Heck, maybe even offer an exposure service with the image washed out?

Anyways,  off subject a little but it got me thinking. Not that I'd be wanting to do that but it could be good for someone.

ok.  So, Wow,  2 years and still washed out?  Give us the details on the emulsion. What brand?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline virgil427

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »
Sceen sorry about your tragedy. On a brighter note thats cool about the emulsion lasting that long, after all the warnings of shelf life. Would'nt try it on a regular basis though.

Wow.  That is interesting. That makes me wonder if we don't have an opportunity here. To make pre-coated screens, and mail them out to those needing screens coated. They do it with the sale of pre-stretched mesh frames, why not coated screens?  Will you get rich?  No, but it's a niche.  Coat some of them boogers up and store them. When someone orders 6 of the 305's pre-coated, just pull those boogers off the shelf and ship.  I don't know. Maybe it's not fast enough with shipping.  Oh, I know.  You can just offer it locally to larger cities. I know in my own area of central Fl, we probably have 30 screen print shops if not more.  Some of these shops order wood frames that are pre-stretched. Some order metal frames pre-stretched. Why not pre coated?  Heck, maybe even offer an exposure service with the image washed out?

Anyways,  off subject a little but it got me thinking. Not that I'd be wanting to do that but it could be good for someone.

ok.  So, Wow,  2 years and still washed out?  Give us the details on the emulsion. What brand?
Dan hate pee on your parade. But, Ryonet has been selling pre-coats for ever. Wanted to let you know before you invest in a coating system. ;)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
Dan hate pee on your parade. But, Ryonet has been selling pre-coats for ever. Wanted to let you know before you invest in a coating system. ;)

SEE!    I knew it was good idea.  LOL.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
I would imagine there is a difference between wet emulsion and dried emulsion.  I've never had a problem with screens going bad in the storage cabinet, of course, I've never let them sit for 2 years either.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »

LOL, "forever" is quite a relative term... I only laugh because I just read their blog last night of how he got started and didn't realize (but assumed due to his age) how young the company is.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »

You really did get excited,lol.
Was in the post. Ulano QTX
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers