Author Topic: Vinyl for Board Shorts?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Vinyl for Board Shorts?
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
Sorry for all the vinyl threads...I had no idea how popular it would be and how much time it would save me on small orders.

I have a client that wants a one color logo on a bunch of board shorts, different colors based on hem colors etc.  Some are solid colors, 92% poly/8% spandex.  I was thinking the Siser Easiweed stretch or even just the standard Easiweed would be fine for those.  The others are 100% poly, but have patterns "printed" on them (white on the inside).  With all the talk about dye migration on those digital camo garments recently, I was worried about using the right vinyl for these to prevent that.  Is that even a problem with vinyl?  According to the chart provided by Siser, I should use CADflex, but I wanted to make sure that was right.

Also, as these are board shorts, they are going to be worn in the ocean and in pools, and I remember (though I couldnt find) a thread about some vinyls coming off in pools.  I can't remember what the solution was (a specific brand?) to prevent that.  Any help would be awesome.  This is just a test run, but I will have a much larger order shortly.

Thanks!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Vinyl for Board Shorts?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
Wanted to bump for Monday.  Any tips are appreciated.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
Still nothing?  Just got another order for more board shorts completely out of the blue, so I need to nail this down.  Any suggestions on what kind of vinyl would be awesome as these are also a small run with multiple placements.

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
I would try the Easyweed Extra .. A little more grip to help against the saltwater.
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
It has a warning against using with "chlorine bleach".  Any chance that means it would not be "pool safe" so to speak?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
It has a warning against using with "chlorine bleach".  Any chance that means it would not be "pool safe" so to speak?

Are these white?

Otherwise, I was about to suggest for a little peace of mind, you may want to think about pressing a pair(or some similar fabric), and washing, and washing, and washing and washing and washing, (with bleach)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
I guess I could go find a similar swimsuit and run some tests with bleach washing and head down to the pool and just let em sit in it for a while.  I found a youtube video where someone is doing swimsuits with this stuff: http://www.imprintables.com/flex-heat-transfer-vinyl-white-15 but can't find any real reviews on it.  Another thread I found suggests http://www.stahls.com/heat-transfer-material-gorilla-grip but there is a weird warning against using it on Hot Pink.  Any idea why?  Some of these suits are die subbed 100% poly, so bleed could be a problem...

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
The one and only time I ran swim suits, they were stretchy nylon lycra Speedos, and I used Gorilla Grip. It was a detailed logo, and that stuff is a bitch to work with in those situations. The carrier sheet has no stick, so I had to often re-stick with stick glue applied with a toothpick.

You didn't say whether that no bleach warning was on a white pair of shorts or not. If on color, it's pretty generic.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
The bleach warning was for the vinyl Rob suggested, not the shorts.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »
The bleach warning was for the vinyl Rob suggested, not the shorts.

ah, that's actually standard on all vinyls, even the Gorilla Grip I used.
For that matter, read the care tag on any shirt, and it says the same thing if any decoration is added. (though I heartily endorse the instruction to wash inside out)

Offline Audifox

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
With some of those shorts being sublimated polyester I would go with one of these two options.
 Thermo grip  from Stahl's.

http://www.stahls.com/heat-transfer-material-thermo-grip

If the art allows, you could try and go with the digital printz - CAD-COLOR® SuperTEK™ Sublistop™ Printable Heat Transfer Material

http://www.stahls.com/printable-heat-transfer-material-supertek-sublistop

Then you wouldn't have to weed

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Thanks!

Art is pretty simple.  Not too worried about the weeding, just the di-sub crap and the issues with adhesion that might happen with chlorine and the ocean.