Author Topic: Accurip with Cobra refillables/CIS on different models?  (Read 3888 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Accurip with Cobra refillables/CIS on different models?
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
So I now have 2 larger format printers (a WF1100 and an Epson 1400) and I am about to pickup a third (either a used 4880 for $300, another used 1400 for $50, or a new 7110 with CIS pre-installed https://www.cobraink.com/Printers/epson7110.htm).  I want to setup one for films, one for inkjet transfers, and one for dye sub and I want to pick the best options for each.  I am also finally getting a rip, and am thinking of going with Accurip for now because of the cost.  I have some questions though about how it works with Cobra refillables/CIS, Cobra inks, and the different printer models. 

Here are some specific questions/scenarios:

Is anyone using Accurip with Cobra refillables/CIS with all black Cobra inks with any of these models for film output?  Are there any issues?  What settings are you using for super dark and dense, clean halftones?

I see occasionally people mention using black in single cartridges and using cleaning fluid in the others.  Is this standard for all models or just certain models?  Is this advisable over All Black with Accurip?

I am thinking if I get the 4880 it is the no brainer option for films, but assuming I end up with another 1400 or the 7110, is the 1400 the better option than the 1100 or the 7110 with Accurip for films?

Generally speaking, how would you setup each printer and why?

Any info and experiences are appreciated.  Thanks!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Accurip with Cobra refillables/CIS on different models?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »
I got nothing for you on the Accurip but after Gilligan showed those other refillable cartridges for the 1100, maybe you should look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
Black in a single cartridge and water or nothing in the others. Been doing it that way for years.
The all black seems nice in theory but in practice you get cleaner results with one cart, and using the
correct software, beyond acceptably dense films.

We use Filmmaker now and love it, used Ghostscript (and RedMon to simplify things) for a long time. Super
clean, super dense. I'm sure Accurip is good as well.

How you assign your printers is up to you, I'm partial to the Epson large formats for films. It's not what they're
made for but they're good at it. We've used from the 3000 to the 9000 and everything in between. The last 4000
we retired had literally several miles of film though it, still going strong.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
great info.  Do you have experience with the 1400 specifically when it comes to single black + cleaning fluid?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
I'm on Cobra Dye Based Black in all 6 refillable carts in a 1400.

LOVE IT. Serious 1400 fanboy. I have a spare on the shelf.

I use Charlie Facini's Ditto sheet feeder also. If you've read many of my posts over the years, I seldom give overly glowing reports on anything, but I will on this setup. And I use the all black settings with my Accurip.

The only downside is sometimes I wish I could print wider than 12.5 inches without having to rotate 90ยบ. It wastes a lot of film.

I have a 4800 ready to press into service, but it is still in storage. The 17" wide rolls will be nice.

We use cobra pigment based inks for the Jet Pro Softstretch and Ironall Darks in an 1100. (It has been good also, but is wheezing, gasping for its last breaths.)

We use a 7110 for Dye Sub using Cobra's refillable carts. I DISLIKE IT IMMENSELY.  What a pain. Cobra's ink profiles are okay, I guess.  But it cries for OEM carts and spits out half printed sheets like politicians spit out lies.

I just wanna give Epson a Dope Slap sometimes.

1100=A+
1400=A+
7110=D
Cobra=A

PM me if you want more info, and we can talk on the phone. I like to help forum members with stuff I know about. ((I don't know that much.))

Stan

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »
fantastic info!  I'll definitely PM you.  Good to know about the 7110.  I was mainly looking at that as an option because of the pre-installed CIS from Cobra and the headaches I assume that would potentially avoid.  Sucks it errors out frequently.  How are the actual prints?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
Prints are very good, and it is fast.

Listen, Richard at Cobra is VERY knowledgeable on these printers. It is quite possible that the CIS he supplies doesn't do it.  Ask him. (You'll probably have to wait in queue or for a call back. They are getting very busy.)

Richard will not steer you wrong.  I'm using his refillable carts plus some from another vendor, and they won't keep printing either. If his CIS system works WITHOUT this hiccup, I'll buy one too.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
We've run AccuRIP in a few 1400 with refillable carts, one channel only, the rest with cleaning fluid, and also a 4800, which went south on us, and currently a 3800, still only black in one channel. In one of our 1400's we ran "heat transfer inks", but I forget from whom, which worked pretty well. For sublimation, I have a really cheap epson, I forget which, but it ran me $50 new, with a CIS kit from "Art" something, I can't quite think of the name, but they are the best some friends who know better told me. The prints from that cheap printer once transferred look great...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
I also recommend FilmMaker.  FilmMaker is a real inkjet RIP from the ground-up, initially developed for inkjet devices which began life as a product named PhotoScript which I believe was developed by a German software firm and acquired by CadLink although don't quote me.  CadLink has some talented engineers working on FilmMaker and has improved it immensely from its original core solution.

I'm also in the camp that "all black" is a myth to a certain extent and the quality of halftones using a single black head generates a cleaner dot.  Remember all those years everyone got along just fine using an Epson 3000 with a single black head?  But hey, this is just my opinion.....Your mileage may vary.  :)

BTW, I have nothing to gain by recommending FilmMaker as I don't sell it.
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
Good to see you here again Steve!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?