Author Topic: RIP's of those who have PREVIEWS.  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
RIP's of those who have PREVIEWS.
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
I'm wondering what the names are of the rips that actually have a preview of the halftones so you can check it before printing. I don't need the end result on paper or on emulsion, just a screen shot of the preview (close up to show the dots really big). Also, let me know what that preview (resolution) is set to. For example, what is the output resolution of your device. I'm assuming the preview should correspond to the output resolution.

Of those, can you post a screen shot of the art I've attached. It's very small, like 3" rectangle at 600ppi.

This is what it looks like using the BITMAP feature coming out of Photoshop at 600ppi.
I used 55 lpi at 22.5 screen angle with ROUND dot.

The bottom is what you might have seen in higher end rips using wet photo films imagesetters at 2400-3600dpi resolution with previews of the halftones...but those are vector created just for an example.

The Photoshop example is better than what we started out with years ago with 300dpi laser printers. 600 is better, but now I see we are getting digital printers with 720 and 1200dpi options. How do those look (in preview)?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:44:07 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline canucklehead

• Verified/Junior
Re: RIP's of those who have PREVIEWS.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »
Filmmaker.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 12:46:23 AM »
Filmmaker.

Thanks for the name.  What I'd really like is for you to download that test file at the very bottom and rip it, then take a screen shot of the blown up dots. I'd like to see the edges of the dots to see how well it's defined in the preview.

Thanks
Dan
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
I don't have filmaker, but I did do a trial of it.  When I would use the preview, it looked nothing like it printed.  Maybe others have a different story.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »
We want image setter dots! We want image setter dots! We want image setter dots! LOL

Nice to see you jumping into this Dan! Hopefully this leads to some nice progress

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
When I was trying out new rips to replace my old rip I think T-rip from Scott Fresener let's you see the halftone's, but I think it's built like filmaker
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »
You can preview in file maker but the rip station I used didn't have enough umph to render them in enough detail to really use the feature.  A faster rig might. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 11:08:55 PM »
This is why I can't justify using a RIP.

I use photoshop's halftones at 1200 dpi, and often previewing multiple separations in full color and changing various settings,  also I like having accurate dot-gain preview and compensation controls and curves, and also halftone control and editing, choking/trapping the RIPPED separations, etc.   And I can create my own halftone patterns if I want as well as perform halftone hybrids of AM/FM and do the interlocking or stick to rosette/flamenco or overprint etc.   

Not saying it is better or worse, I just work differently and demand different variables or controls over the separation/halftone/previews/simulation/editing etc.   

Equilateral Triangle Halftones are looking very interesting at the moment.

"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline Jwcontractscreen

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 03:42:08 PM »
Harlequin based rip printed from photoshop at 60 lpi(i don't have 55 set up) output as a tif so I had to zip it to upload.
Contract screen printing in Northern Kentucky
www.jwcontractscreen.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
I also use 1200 pip when converting to bitmap in PS, as it makes the dots considerably smoother. We use AccuRIP (older) but that is not one of the features. However, UltraSeps has a function for that, though I've never used it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »
I also use 1200 pip when converting to bitmap in PS, as it makes the dots considerably smoother. We use AccuRIP (older) but that is not one of the features. However, UltraSeps has a function for that, though I've never used it...

Steve

UltraSeps runs the RIPs at 600 dpi, and I think always flamenco, although with the manual rip settings you may be able to rip individually at higher DPI or other angles/LPI etc.

"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 06:24:22 PM »
We want image setter dots! We want image setter dots! We want image setter dots! LOL

Nice to see you jumping into this Dan! Hopefully this leads to some nice progress

I could not pull money out fast enough if a DTS unit produced Image set dots. I would pawn one of my kids for that......lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »
I use harlequin. It is awesome. If you remind me I will post some screen shots tomorrow.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
Harlequin based rip printed from photoshop at 60 lpi(i don't have 55 set up) output as a tif so I had to zip it to upload.

For reference here.  This comes out at 600ppi also.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:00:19 PM by Dottonedan »

Offline BorisB

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »

I very much understand what you mean. We ran imagesetter at 1200-2400 dpi for 10 years, before making switch to Epson based DTS.