Author Topic: underbase : how many point stroke?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

underbase : how many point stroke?
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:11:30 PM »
I have a simple two color job requiring an underbase....I currently have the underbase at a 1 point stroke..is that enough? should it be more?

I am using coreldraw x5

printing on a manual
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:14:21 PM by Mark @ Hurricane Printing »
Mark

Online zanegun08

Re: underbase : how many point stroke?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
Not sure if it is the same for Corel Draw as illustrator, but I do .5 - .75 if using a dedicated base, and 1pt if print flash printing a base, and doing colors on top.

Keep in mind that this is a centered stroke so the actual choke (trap, bleed) is half that value.  If I were to stroke to the inside, I would do half the amount.

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:15:04 PM »
thanks..i am going to go with a 1 point stroke, which gives me .5 inside..

and only one color going on top...i am not going to stroke the highlight white areas.
Mark

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
I use .5 here.  used to use .25, but honestly jobs set up faster with a thicker choke.

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
I took Pierre's advice and started adding a .5 pt trap to top colors instead of choking when I can.  It is very helpful for thin lines where choking the underbase loses the thin lines.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:43:23 PM »
We choke the underbase by  around 0.28 mm - 0.3 mm. Sometimes trapping the top colors is the better option though. I`d say it`s a case by case basis.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
Depending on thickness/thinness of lines int he design - all trap/choking is done as a .5 stroke.  Yes, the inside trap is .25 points.

White plates are printed through a 150(S) mesh for 95% of all jobs.

If the base will be done on the manual as a print flash print then the trapping will be .65-.7 points.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »
wow, we must be gluttons for punishment here... we choke at .3pt on the line.  so .15pt.

generally jobs are setup within a few micros... I'm going to shoot some screens tomorrow with a .5 and see if Tiffany notices the difference on the print.  If she doesn't I'll bet we can get away with almost never touching the micros at all..

In fact this will be fun... I'm not going to say anything, and see what she says late in the day about how printing went.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
Pshh.  Sep 'em butt-fit.  What's wrong with your screens?  ;)

OK, just kidding.  Half point on the manual here.  Less or none on the auto, depending on art.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:31:43 PM »
Less or none on the auto, depending on art.

personally i don't like seeing the underbase when looking at the print from an angle..

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 12:03:17 AM »
I end up choking underbases a hair with the exposure unit if everything is just run butt-fit, so I'm cheating a bit.

I don't like seeing a little white from the side, but I can't say I like the look of a quarter or half a point of ink choking in tiny negative details either.
And yes, it keeps me up at night.