Author Topic: Mac Vs. PC  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Mac Vs. PC
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
Buy some intel mac minis. Load them up with ram. If your using iWeb for your website, remember that is an apple program and will NOT run on a PC.

I'd hate to see you buy a PC based just on the upfront cost. Their is a reason people switch from PCs to macs but you rarely hear of people leaving the mac for a PC.

my problem is really about having to buy 5 brand new copies of both Illustrator and Photoshop, not the price of a new Mac... We have a mini being used a server of sort for the art and as the print server for AccuRIP. I've been a user of those particular programs since the early 90's and always upgrade eventually. But Lion, sans Rosetta, won't recognize the older program that the upgrades are for, therefore, one needs to purchase a whole new copy and license.

Unless something has changed, Adobe allows you to install their software on two different computers. I have CS3 on both my old G5 desktop and (still)) on my MacBook. Maybe buy 2 copies and only install on one at home, plus the 3 at work?

I'll check that out, but the last time I looked, I could only find CS5 on eBay. I haven't given up yet, but I was about to get a new machine for one of the artists, but ran into this issue. So maybe, if I can find a CS3 Universal (installable on both PPC and Intel macs) I could upgrade from there at a lower cost. Thanks Tom

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline squeegee

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
Is there such thing as dual platform software?

A universal version of Illustrator or Photoshop?

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
Some pretty good advice here, Considering that the mac vs PC for doing graphics died a decade ago.....

If you are used to the mac interface you'll probably Hate windos and loose a lot of time in retraining the way you work. Either way you are looking at new software purchases......

There is a reason you pay top dollar for macs and contrary to what PC'rs will tell you it is not for the logo. They are the Cadillac's of personal computing. Best Industrial design and only the best Technology and hardware ( Unless you have a pc custom made *( Royls Royce).
I defiantly would not buy a Wallmart Dell special :-P

And don't forget the 80 bazillion reasons Pc's Suck.... they're called mallitious Viruses! :o

you can be different and Run osX on a PC with a third party emulator or just run Windoz on a mac natively...

Personally If it where me,...... I'd Just get new drives in the G5 and reset it to Factory NEW!!!!!!  and take off running!
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
As far as I know the 2 installs are for 1 user only.....And you can not use both machines at the same time....

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
And you can not use both machines at the same time..

Cannot or are not supposed to? if you unplug the network between them you can ;D

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
[quote
Personally If it where me,...... I'd Just get new drives in the G5 and reset it to Factory NEW!!!!!!  and take off running!
[/quote]

I know you know your stuff inside and out Dave, you wouldn't want to expand on that a tad wouldja? Not aware of the "reset to factory new..." probably over my head, but I always love to learn something new...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »
I read all of this and was going to post but I'd be posting the same old thing. Then, went back to work and experienced it again. Moved on. Then today, I am reminder and irritated again.

PC's or more so Window's operating system SUCKS.  Call it what you want, compare what you want, price it how you want. In the end. It sucks when compared by a user  form platform to platform.

With that said, Currently, due to price and not well to do yet, I will continue to use the sucky one.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:13 PM »
I read all of this and was going to post but I'd be posting the same old thing. Then, went back to work and experienced it again. Moved on. Then today, I am reminder and irritated again.

PC's or more so Window's operating system SUCKS.  Call it what you want, compare what you want, price it how you want. In the end. It sucks when compared by a user  form platform to platform.

With that said, Currently, due to price and not well to do yet, I will continue to use the sucky one.

Finally we agree on something..... LOL

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »
Just an FYI for the windows users here.

When people complain about old adobe software not being supported on newer macs, here is the deal:

Macs use to use Power PC Processors or PPC. In 2006 apple switched to using the intel x86 processors.
Apple had a compatibility layer for the last 5 years called rosetta which let you run PPC coded applications on Intel Macs.

In their latest OS release (OSX 10.7 Lion) they dropped the compatibility layer (rosetta).

With computer technology advancing at such a fast rate I think apple assumed that people have upgraded their applications in the last 5.5. years. That's why rosetta was dropped. It's time to move forward.

If your using Adobe apps on a daily basis for your business, complaining that it doesn't work on new macs because you haven't updated your app in 5 years.. well it's time to upgrade your software.

-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
My personal opinion is that Mac os ever since OSX has started to go the way of windows... just to much code.... same with adobe, I hate the newer interfaces!

Steve
I know you know your stuff inside and out Dave, you wouldn't want to expand on that a tad wouldja? Not aware of the "reset to factory new..." probably over my head, but I always love to learn something new...

The hardware does not get beat up... Just the hard drive ( The only moving part other then the fans)  if you buy a new drive and put the original system on it it will be a brand new machine... Lots faster then with the old beat up used uf fragged drive , apps and files on there.
Try it...

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
P.S.  here is the really cool part, Unlike a windows PC  if you put the old drive in as a secondary... you can run the old apps off it with out reinstalling,or running off the old system. A PC has to put them in the registry of the running drive to do this. though they will probably run way better re-installed on the new drive.