Author Topic: Air to Press start up?  (Read 3539 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Air to Press start up?
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
I know this is going to sound stupid, but yesterday I was in a hurry and went to chiller and just crank the air valve wide open letting a big rush of air into the press and heard nasty bang sound, my normal way is to open it up slowly until the press air tank is full them open it up all the way. Question do any of think just cranking it wide open and letting air rush in will harm anything, I'm kinda thinking doing that might blow open a seal or something, I know if I had a worker that did that to my press I would be pissed (wide open air start up).

darryl
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:45:25 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ffokazak

Re: Air to Press start up?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »
Not sure what the pros will say, but I just always have eased it on. Just seems like the right thing to do?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:56:45 PM »
you turn your air off every night?  We leave everything powered up... the chiller makes the compressor cycle about once or 2x an hour, but makes it easier, and keeps the screens locked in place as well if we leave a plastisol job setup over night.

you may have been hearing the tubes move around or bounce as things moved.

-J

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
i don't leave the compressor on overnight...i had a bad experience.  we blew a hose that caused it to run all night and the pump seized.  I really don't recommend leaving things on overnight that can do that..like water to a hose, etc.  you're asking for trouble in my opinion...

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »
I turn everything off and drain the compressor and water traps every night. Come in and start over in the am.
Yes you can blow a line, valve, etc shocking the system.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »
I turn everything off and drain the compressor and water traps every night. Come in and start over in the am.
Yes you can blow a line, valve, etc shocking the system.

same here, we run tandem chillers/compressors....I don't like the idea of leaving it on all night, that scares me a bit. And we always ease the air on with the ball valves, never crank them open fast. It doesn't take long to charge the line so why crank it open fast?...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 05:27:16 PM »
i don't leave the compressor on overnight...i had a bad experience.  we blew a hose that caused it to run all night and the pump seized.  I really don't recommend leaving things on overnight that can do that..like water to a hose, etc.  you're asking for trouble in my opinion...

We have had a fitting fail during the day and because of that turn the compressor off before we leave.  It would be no good to have a fitting or hose fail overnight.  This requires tightening the manual clamps for jobs staying on press overnight but that is merely a couple minutes.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 05:41:31 PM »
Thanks guys, and yeah we never leave any air to our press overnight plus the Anatol press we have has air and manual clamps so the screen stay nice and tight.  I couldn't see us walking out and leaving anything on I even turn the breaker off on the compressor just in case a line blows.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
I've been told by the pneumatic guys that turning off the air increases the potential for getting moisture in the system, and the 'mass' flow of air through the chiller can result in water in the lines.. you can actually see this happen if you if you have a moisture trap before the chiller... you'll get a  dump of water right after you open the valve.

but I suppose you guys are right about fittings failing at night... wonder what the 'real' solution is that.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
you turn your air off every night?  We leave everything powered up... the chiller makes the compressor cycle about once or 2x an hour, but makes it easier, and keeps the screens locked in place as well if we leave a plastisol job setup over night.

you may have been hearing the tubes move around or bounce as things moved.

-J
Our M&R tech told us not to leave the press pressurized over night. And upon start up in the morning to slowly let if fill up with air.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
I've had full air on up to the press pretty much every time I've turned on the old GT-8 or the newer RS, never had issues.

Perhaps 244 cares to chime in on this as far as his presses go?   

Agree 100% not to leave compressor on overnight.  Had a neighbor with a blown hose, we saved his comp--called and asked "Is your recip supposed to be running right now?"  They were out on a job--hadn't even been in that day yet.

IMO you shouldn't have any problem keeping the air locks on all night with a decent size tank--fix your air leaks, lazy guy.  ;)

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
I've had full air on up to the press pretty much every time I've turned on the old GT-8 or the newer RS, never had issues.

Perhaps 244 cares to chime in on this as far as his presses go?   

Agree 100% not to leave compressor on overnight.  Had a neighbor with a blown hose, we saved his comp--called and asked "Is your recip supposed to be running right now?"  They were out on a job--hadn't even been in that day yet.

IMO you shouldn't have any problem keeping the air locks on all night with a decent size tank--fix your air leaks, lazy guy.  ;)
Air should be left on all the time. When you turn the compressor off at night or weekends the air that is in the lines will re-absorb the moisture in the lines or ambient air. Air that is chilled and under pressure wont do that. Every time you turn the compressor on you are running it to refill the system adding wear and tear to it as well as the chiller. To prevent damage from a possible hose bursting and flying all over the place beating up whatever is around it add another ball valve just like the one you use to turn the air off. Before you add it close the ball valve and drill a 1/8" hole through the ball. Now when you go home just close the valve and the hole will keep the system full. This will also let the compressor cycle instead of running constantly and  burning itself up. Doing this will not let hoses become unseated and prevents the pressure strains from affecting the air components. We have been doing this for 30 years without issue.
Rich Hoffman

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
@Rich reading your post sound like your saying refilling the compressor tank correct, I never let my compressor tank run empty it stays full, I just turn the power off and shut the air valve off at the chiller.  Now far as the press goes it leaks down which tells me it has some air leaks, but I thought that the press leaking down was normal.  If I read your post correct I still don't think I want to have air pressure on my press full time when not in use or left over the weekend, but that's just me, good to learn something new anyway.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »
I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a regional manager for Kaeser. I just asked him to educate me on this. I won't go into what he told me, as it would likely be different from what your rep or sales person might say, depending on brand. So now I am 100% satisfied with how I run my compressors. Make a phone call or send an email. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.  I've been doing it right, and now I know for sure.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »
@Rich reading your post sound like your saying refilling the compressor tank correct, I never let my compressor tank run empty it stays full, I just turn the power off and shut the air valve off at the chiller.  Now far as the press goes it leaks down which tells me it has some air leaks, but I thought that the press leaking down was normal.  If I read your post correct I still don't think I want to have air pressure on my press full time when not in use or left over the weekend, but that's just me, good to learn something new anyway.
I personally think its better to keep the press pressurized all the time, at least for ours it is.
Rich Hoffman