Author Topic: What are you using to catch shirts?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What are you using to catch shirts?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:47 AM »
We use a plywood box the width of the belt that holds about 600 shirts or so, but... we try to always have a catcher for anything over 36 shirts... sorting sucks.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »
A DIY garment runner  and a girl with a set of arms and hands to catch some shirts.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »
It's the one part of the process where you don't need anything fancy. My card box fits 200 shirts easily and cost me $8. I've been using it for 10 months and it will probably last me another year.

If I hire someone in the next few months I will definitely have that person catch shirts at times but I'm not too bothered with that

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »
I use the heavy cardboard box my big Weber gas grill came in.

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »
I use a LRS manufactured Model 230 Aluminum Framed Catch Station with a shade cloth garment retention insert.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
I built a super simple 2x4 frame on casters, then got a big piece of industrial canvas and made a sort of bin out of it.  Along the top I attached snap buttons with corresponding pieces on the frame so I can take it off and shake out the lint or even wash it when necessary (rarely).  It holds around 350-400 shirts without issue and is the exact width of my dryer and just tall enough to slide under the end when not being used.  I have seen people use rigid plastic totes (what I orginally used) and boxes and wood crates, but they get dusty easily and suck to clean.  The casters are super nice to have as well for big runs.

No pictures == it didn't happen! ;)

Speaking of, ever posted up pics of that FPU?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
no.  I have been so totally slammed lately I haven't done much photo taking or building, and most of my time on the forum is while i'm in the middle of live email exchanges or working on art and taking little 5 minute breaks.  This has been the busiest summer ever for me for some reason.  Summers are usually dead for me...

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »
Tangent question:

I was under the impression that it's not good, either for the shirt or the print, to have the hot shirts stack up on each other and stay hot. I know that I've had trouble with printing polyesters sports tees where the print crinkles and sticks to itself badly if left to stack up after leaving the dryer, I also thought it would increase any dye migration. Perhaps this is because my belt ends only a couple of inches out of the tunnel so the shirts don't get a chance to cool before stacking? My solution for the poly's was to rig up a cardboard slide from the belt with a fan blowing on the slide. I don't use a slide with cotton tees but I'll stop printing to pack the shirts flat every 20 or so, probably not ideal efficiency even if its only 4 steps away.

Any ideas or solutions for boxes to catch polyesters that doesn't continue to bake them into one big ball of plastic?

James

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:29 AM »
Tangent question:

I was under the impression that it's not good, either for the shirt or the print, to have the hot shirts stack up on each other and stay hot. I know that I've had trouble with printing polyesters sports tees where the print crinkles and sticks to itself badly if left to stack up after leaving the dryer, I also thought it would increase any dye migration. Perhaps this is because my belt ends only a couple of inches out of the tunnel so the shirts don't get a chance to cool before stacking? My solution for the poly's was to rig up a cardboard slide from the belt with a fan blowing on the slide. I don't use a slide with cotton tees but I'll stop printing to pack the shirts flat every 20 or so, probably not ideal efficiency even if its only 4 steps away.

Any ideas or solutions for boxes to catch polyesters that doesn't continue to bake them into one big ball of plastic?

James

A tangential answer may be to add a longer runoff or fans carefully mounted to cool the shirts but not the tunnel. I have had to do that when I was using a very small dryer.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?