Author Topic: Win 10  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Win 10
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
Could one restore to a point before the upgrade as can be done with other application installations?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
I might go ahead and upgrade the one computer here to 10 and see how it goes, since we can upgrade for free right now.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »
Well, last night I decided to unbox the new Windows 10 laptop and check it out.  Was up until 3:00 am jerking around with it.  No big apps installed yet aside from Google Drive although so far, I'm not exactly thrilled.

The first big issue I ran into is Windows 10 refuses to see my NAS drives (network attached hard drives).  I have 3 on the network and none are accessible no matter what I try.  After investigating, this seems to be an issue others are having.

After a while one share (basically a shared network folder) on one of the drives, the oldest one appeared when viewing This PC in Explorer although is not available when viewing networks.  The other 2 NAS drives, a WD Raid and a Buffalo Link Station can't be accessed.

The second issue is Windows 10 can't see my Macs on the network.  And obviously the Macs can't access the Windows 10 system either.  Here again, tried everything but no dice and very little information regarding this is available.  I'm sure I'll eventually get all network devices to work at some point with some sort of hack although I'd rather not have to go to extremes in the event the modification effects something else.

Bet the ranch I'll find yet further annoyances with Windows 10.  If this new laptop was a higher-end system that I intended to do serious work on, most likely I'd wipe it and install Windows 7 due to the networking problems.  I can't wait to try and print to one of my networked printers....or should I say NOT to print?

Explorer feels sluggish using 10 when compared to my other Win boxes, and if you're planning on using Microsoft Edge, their new browser, well, forget that and just install Chrome.
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
I am going to do a fresh install on a spare hard drive.....That way I can swap back and forth if I need...

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »
Could one restore to a point before the upgrade as can be done with other application installations?

Yes, you can.  Although it must be done within a month, which is ridiculous.

I think most users are better off sticking with Windows 7 for now.....or forever.  Possibly 10 will get better at some point.  Its really just Windows 8 with an added start menu and without the Metro tiles screen.  Although they do manage to stuff tiles into the start menu, which I got rid of.

Better yet....consider an iMac as Microsoft just doesn't get it.  One bloated, overly complex and buggy OS after the other.

Yes, I know Microsoft has been touting all the other improvements with 10 although in my very early assessment, that's all fluff and nothing more.  They needed a lean, fast, simpler OS.  Windows 10 is a monstrous hog that will still be confusing to many people.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:49:38 PM by UltraSeps »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »
You're going to start some trouble with that one Steve, LOL...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
You're going to start some trouble with that one Steve, LOL...
Steve

You're probably right!  :P

Fact is, Windows 7 was and still is a good OS.  It was stable, clean, easy, fast and made sense.  Microsoft should have built upon that structure as opposed to trying to reinvent the wheel.  They had a winner which could have been advanced yet further.  They decide however to throw the proverbial monkey wrench into the mix.

I'm not an Apple Fan Boy by any stretch of the imagination although go back and look at the FIRST version of OS X.  Its very similar in form and function to the latest version.  They had a winning formula and stuck to it.

Microsoft, as I said previously, just doesn't get it.

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
Update on the NAS drive connection issue with Windows 10......

I was finally able to connect to my network drives and the Macs by creating a new user, logging out, then logging in with the new user account.  Once doing so, the NAS drives magically appeared on the network along with the Macs.  I then logged back in as the Admin and deleted the other user account.  All continues to function normally.

Had a feeling there was some sort of confusion that could be rectified by logging in with another account.

Anyhow, keep this in mind if not able to connect to other types of network devices using Windows 10.

Time for a beer and a nice cigar.   8)

Have a great weekend!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Update on the NAS drive connection issue with Windows 10......

I was finally able to connect to my network drives and the Macs by creating a new user, logging out, then logging in with the new user account.  Once doing so, the NAS drives magically appeared on the network along with the Macs.  I then logged back in as the Admin and deleted the other user account.  All continues to function normally.

Had a feeling there was some sort of confusion that could be rectified by logging in with another account.

Anyhow, keep this in mind if not able to connect to other types of network devices using Windows 10.

Time for a beer and a nice cigar.   8)

Have a great weekend!

for some odd reason, that is the ONLY way I can get corel to open up. I had an automatic update the other day and boom, this happens. wtf....I might try what you just did, thanks.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...