Author Topic: Wilflex white increas  (Read 6918 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Wilflex white increas
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 06:38:53 PM »
Titanium Dioxide is in anything white. Lots of food products, etc. If that's going up,
I hope my sprinkle donuts don't go up too!

Offline squeegee

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 07:11:56 PM »
Actually I hope I'm remembering wrong, thing is if it's the plasticizer, wouldn't we be seeing a price increase on other colors of plastisol as well?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
Starts October 17th on all whites 10% across the board. Based on those quality discharge prints I just saw I'm beginning to think we might need to look at the "Is discharge cheaper" issue. Think of it.....no base screen, no $$$base ink, turn off the flash. And better print quality and even washfastness in some cases. And a base/PC ink generally costs me under $30 p/gallon.

FYI, this is the first in the line of increases. There is at least another 10 if not 20 percent coming shortly!

pierre

Pierre:  While there is continuing pressure on TiO2 from both a supply and price pressure I think that it’s premature to forecast any further specific increases in the near term.  I can assure you that the folks at PolyOne Wilflex are extremely aware of the sensitivity of the garment screen-printing market and are making every effort to minimize and where possible absorb these raw materials manufacturing cost increases. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »
I think it is "funny" how this is a bad economy and every service, bill and item I have to buy has raised its prices more in the last 2 year then they have in many years before. It makes it really hard on the companies that are still making it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 04:28:18 AM »
Starts October 17th on all whites 10% across the board. Based on those quality discharge prints I just saw I'm beginning to think we might need to look at the "Is discharge cheaper" issue. Think of it.....no base screen, no $$$base ink, turn off the flash. And better print quality and even washfastness in some cases. And a base/PC ink generally costs me under $30 p/gallon.

FYI, this is the first in the line of increases. There is at least another 10 if not 20 percent coming shortly!

pierre

Pierre:  While there is continuing pressure on TiO2 from both a supply and price pressure I think that it’s premature to forecast any further specific increases in the near term.  I can assure you that the folks at PolyOne Wilflex are extremely aware of the sensitivity of the garment screen-printing market and are making every effort to minimize and where possible absorb these raw materials manufacturing cost increases.

Peter,
let's hope you are right! My source says that was what they were told and after reading the above link, it seems plausible . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
Confirmed straight from the source last night, I asked Jerry from Wilflex what's the issue,

Titanium Dioxide is going up. It's been in the news, on trade news and effects everything using it.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »

I would love to switch to discharge underbases solely as I've got the printing part of it pretty nailed down for basic stuff.  The main issue is a lot of people run electric dryers and are already at capacity with plastisol.  Upgrading dryers and getting one that will fit in a tight space but still keep up with waterbased inks is a true challenge logistically and financially.

I priced a new MD8 and man I can't swing that just yet and I don't want to give up a 30' patch of shop real estate for a used gas semi truck dryer haha

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »

I would love to switch to discharge underbases solely as I've got the printing part of it pretty nailed down for basic stuff.  The main issue is a lot of people run electric dryers and are already at capacity with plastisol.  Upgrading dryers and getting one that will fit in a tight space but still keep up with waterbased inks is a true challenge logistically and financially.

I priced a new MD8 and man I can't swing that just yet and I don't want to give up a 30' patch of shop real estate for a used gas semi truck dryer haha

similar predicament here, but I do will have to go to a new dryer very, very soon. What did they quote you for the MD8?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
We got ours for around $22K, I would recommend going with at least 16' of heat. 

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
16'?  Holly S balls, that's a long chamber.  I wasn't looking at the md8 but the airjet and I was thinking 12' would be great.  We have 10' now with a 48" belt and it will handle discharge running at 500-600 per hour.  Why 16', are you having any issues with the chamber length you have now?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
I just bought a dryer.  check this out -15'in - 10 heat - 5' out. . pretty damn big. . .I'm excited. . .Marc @ Interchange is the man, he can hook you up with anything too. . .Thanks Rick'r. .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
because we have 12' and the max I can run per hour with plastisol is 600.  Some of that might be that we are in Georgia and the humidity is way too high.

I could use the whole belt, but that makes by back hurt.