Author Topic: today was many lessons were learned  (Read 2746 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: today was many lessons were learned
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Hmm, actually you can have it done either way.  You can have the name placed ABOVE the correct number so all you do it apply that.  Generally, I get the names cut and layout my own numbers.  That is cheaper.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
Gilligan, what is your cost per sq. foot on shirt vinyl?  And how long does it take you to weed them?  I found that it's faster and thus cheaper to go the stahls route.

You guys are right... it's not cheaper (I don't think)... I misspoke.  It is more flexible and kind of makes it cheaper if you want to be flexible... like having multiple colors/fonts.  That would get super expensive with Stahls where as I can cut whatever I want in any color I have.

I order a 15" roll at $2.18 a linear foot or less (depending how much I order)... that works out to $1.75/square foot?  We do take the time to utilize the space as much as possible feasible.  Name and number we will cut in one sheet for ease of placement... BUT if it's a long name and a single number we will gang up other stuff in the dead space.  We recently did 9 shirts and I put the sponsors on the sleeve and cut them out of "dead" space around a couple of numbers.  You can quickly reduce your cost that way but it is a little more work, but not bad.

My wife would kill me if I was doing name drops with individual letters... then again, I guess you rig up a jig and use application tape... she still wouldn't like it.

Weeding t-shirt vinyl is easy on the hands... just tough on my cheapskate wallet (knowing I'm throwing away perfectly good vinyl LOL )

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »
Gilligan, what is your cost per sq. foot on shirt vinyl?  And how long does it take you to weed them?  I found that it's faster and thus cheaper to go the stahls route.

You guys are right... it's not cheaper (I don't think)... I misspoke.  It is more flexible and kind of makes it cheaper if you want to be flexible... like having multiple colors/fonts.  That would get super expensive with Stahls where as I can cut whatever I want in any color I have.

I order a 15" roll at $2.18 a linear foot or less (depending how much I order)... that works out to $1.75/square foot?  We do take the time to utilize the space as much as possible feasible.  Name and number we will cut in one sheet for ease of placement... BUT if it's a long name and a single number we will gang up other stuff in the dead space.  We recently did 9 shirts and I put the sponsors on the sleeve and cut them out of "dead" space around a couple of numbers.  You can quickly reduce your cost that way but it is a little more work, but not bad.

My wife would kill me if I was doing name drops with individual letters... then again, I guess you rig up a jig and use application tape... she still wouldn't like it.

Weeding t-shirt vinyl is easy on the hands... just tough on my cheapskate wallet (knowing I'm throwing away perfectly good vinyl LOL )

Agreed.  I like the flexibility of vinyl for small orders and simple low quantity joke/bday/bachelor party shirts.  If I do this 200+ piece order again next year though I may price the transfers already set up per person to save a little bit of sanity.  It does seem like such a waste throwing away all the negative vinyl haha I sometimes stop and think about it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
Yeah, at 200 pcs... either I'm hiring a goon to weed all that or I'm looking for alternative means.

Either way you are "hiring" someone to do it.  Sometimes I'd rather just give my daughter a little more money... at least make her work for it a little. :)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Stahls was not an option Sunday, we did them as the people came in and had no idea who or how many people would be there. It was not ideal but I am glade I did it, now I know.  Stahls is nice to use saves time and I like the back to look printed the same as the front instead of printed on front and then vinyl on the back. I dont think the customer really cares much but I do, plus they are right down the road so I can get next day service and no shipping. I use the vinyl mostly for those 1-10 shirt orders.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com