Author Topic: Creating an embroidered mockup?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Creating an embroidered mockup?
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
I have a client trying to decide between getting something embroidered vs printed, and they are asking for a mockup of what it would look like embroidered.  I have gotten mockups from embroidery places before and was wondering what they are using to create the mockup.  Are they basically digitizing it (using something automated) and outputting a mockup from the digitizing software?  I can't imagine the mockups are taking much work since the times I've gotten them have been free and not looked "perfect", just close.

Any ideas?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Creating an embroidered mockup?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »
There is no such thing as a "mock-up" of embroidery that looks real...Best to get a actual sewout....

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
I'm not looking for 3D photorealism, just something that accurately reflect that limitations of embroidery.  I get digital "sewouts" frequently when I submit a job to an embroiderer, so they are doing it using something.  I don't mind sending it off every time, but it would speed things up a lot, and probably annoy my embroidery guy less, if I could do it in house.

Offline Audifox

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »
Wilcom Trusizer is I think what you might want.
http://www.wilcom.com/en-us/products/truesizerproducts.aspx
They have a free version.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
I'm not looking for 3D photorealism, just something that accurately reflect that limitations of embroidery.  I get digital "sewouts" frequently when I submit a job to an embroiderer, so they are doing it using something.  I don't mind sending it off every time, but it would speed things up a lot, and probably annoy my embroidery guy less, if I could do it in house.

I will not bother repeating myself seeing how you will continue to disagree.....Good luck....

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
If you are a Corel user you could try this..... http://www.dexigner.com/news/7930

Offline BorisB

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »
My digitizer sends "digital sewouts" but it's after they digitize the file.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »
In order to get a digital version it has to be digitized. There is no software out there that will replicate the detail or lack there of in embroidery. In a lot of cases with art that needs to be dumbed down you can do that when you create the art on the first go around.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 06:12:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  The Drawstitch program actually does a pretty decent job of showing the basic embroidery style, at least plenty well enough for my needs.  I attached the mockups showing the original vs what drawstitch created in one click.  I tossed it in photoshop on a knit texture and added a quick drop shadow, but otherwise didn't touch it.

After talking to my usual embroidery guy, it looks like his software has a sort of quick preview function that shows him a rough stitch count and makes a digital mockup, but it is part of a larger and much more expensive software than I want.  He said it was not done post digitizing, but was basically a one click preview.

Royster, since I regularly get digital mockups from embroiderers, I guess I don't understand why you think they don't exist or why you take offense with my disagreeing with you saying "not gonna happen".  Does what I uploaded look exactly like the physical end product? no.  Is it close enough to get an idea? of course...

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
The reason why we do not use that is because thats not how its going to sew out in real life. If you sewed that file as is it would look like crap. It is not how that font is really digitized. So by showing your customer that and what you really end up with once it is digitized could cause problems. You can and will get that customer that says " that does not look like what you sent me". We embroider in house and digitize as well. We keep plenty of samples around to show the customer. Have your embroider send you the sew outs with your orders so your customers can see it and you would be much better off.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
Good advice and appreciated.  I am having them send me a mockup, but of course everyone wants things ASAP.  I added a disclaimer to my client that the mockup was only representative of the visual style, and not what it would actually look like and explained that smaller details could potentially look much different or be lost entirely.  I guess to a degree I'm surprised there isn't a less expensive software that does this, not producing a fully usable file, but just a basic first step automation of the stitches. 

Out of curiosity, how would you change the original art to make it sew better?  I have never had an embroiderer tell me to change the art to sew better, so they either are just saying freak it or are doing something pre-digitizing to fix it and not telling me.  Would love to know what to do to make a better end product.