Author Topic: Ink for Yoga Mat  (Read 7667 times)

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Ink for Yoga Mat
« on: October 28, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »
Did a search and didn't find too much...... Have a client we need to print a couple hundred big yoga mats for and want to get some ink ordered today.

Any suggestions, mr coleman? anyone else?

thanks

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Ink for Yoga Mat
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Here's what he said i another thread some time back

BTW - yoga mats are plastisol.  Yup just a foam plastisol that is metered onto a belt.  I used to sell industrial plastisols into this market before it all went off shore to China.  You can print standard plastisols on them with pretty good results as long as the temp stays below 330 or so.
Modify message

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »
Thanks Andy, looks like I will try some super stretch plastisol white.... In the past I have had problems with the ink cracking/coming off the yoga mat material with standard plastisols

Danny Gruninger

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
how about silicone?

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »
Danny - you can always add a little nylobond for adhesion promoter.  Or potentially use an air dry solvent ink. 

Croft:  I would not go with silicone -- pvc gassing under heat can poison the Si bond -- basically meaning the catalyst may not kick off and cross link.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »
Danny - you can always add a little nylobond for adhesion promoter.  Or potentially use an air dry solvent ink. 

Croft:  I would not go with silicone -- pvc gassing under heat can poison the Si bond -- basically meaning the catalyst may not kick off and cross link.

Rob, I always felt that Nylobond type stuff reduces stretch. Is that not the case?

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
Frog- you are correct.  It improves tensile strength (adhesion) but decreases elongation.  Maybe I read wrong, but I thought Danny said he had adhesion issues with standard plastisols.  Rereading - yes if it cracked due to  not enough elasticity and then loss of adhesion - nylon additive would not be advised.

Most yoga mats are not terribly stretchy though -- just foamy! 

The thing is with plastisol ink - when printing on a cured plastisol (yoga mat in this case), you are literally printing on a sheet of vinyl and adhesion is difficult.  This is the same phenomena on inter-coat adhesion issues (delaminating) when printed a color on an OVER flashed white ink.  However in this case, the blown foam of the mat gives a bit of a rougher surface to adhere to.  An air dry vinyl ink would probably be the best solution overall.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
Frog- you are correct.  It improves tensile strength (adhesion) but decreases elongation.  Maybe I read wrong, but I thought Danny said he had adhesion issues with standard plastisols.  Rereading - yes if it cracked due to  not enough elasticity and then loss of adhesion - nylon additive would not be advised.

Most yoga mats are not terribly stretchy though -- just foamy! 

The thing is with plastisol ink - when printing on a cured plastisol (yoga mat in this case), you are literally printing on a sheet of vinyl and adhesion is difficult.  This is the same phenomena on inter-coat adhesion issues (delaminating) when printed a color on an OVER flashed white ink.  However in this case, the blown foam of the mat gives a bit of a rougher surface to adhere to.  An air dry vinyl ink would probably be the best solution overall.

Danny brought up a stretchy ink, but does not really say if stretch or lack thereof was an issue.
I like the idea of an air dry that etches its way into the substrate a bit if that is available, but without help stacking, even with a reduced dry time with the addition of heat, stacking or racking this stuff to dry is what years ago, got me out of flat stock in my limited space.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
man perfect timing. I'm so stoked this thread just came up. in need of the same thing!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
The big issue I have had is when the clients go to roll their mat up into a roll that is what stresses the ink/makes it crack...... Which is why I'm thinking I need something that can really stretch well due to the clients always wanting to roll these up tightly.

Danny Gruninger

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »
my yoga matt appears to be screened looking under a loop, semi pliable ink, feels and looks like it will stick forever... although a very small imprint
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
This might be a stupid idea, but what about using some type of vinyl house paint in a 230 or higher screen
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
my yoga matt appears to be screened looking under a loop, semi pliable ink, feels and looks like it will stick forever... although a very small imprint

When it's small like that, how about pad printing?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
Phone Nazdar......They know it all......

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »
For us pad print not an option as we are having to print full size on the mats - around 24" wide by 65" long...... Tons of ink covering the entire yogo mat hence the reason we need something that will stick, stretch and last a long time...... I might try to test some hsa w/ catalyst on them and see how that does

Danny Gruninger