Author Topic: WOW printing WOES  (Read 7947 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Re: WOW printing WOES
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
I agree with frog, I use a lot of 180 and 230 mesh. 110 was for one hit whites or things I needed a lot of ink. Wet on wet on a manual, yes sir, tight screens and solid registration is the key.  I suggest buying some roller frames, once the tension is right you will be amazed at how much easier things become.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Appstro

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »
Pics of upcoming possible job. This will be going on Alstyle 100% cotton youth and adults. What mesh would you do?
BACK

FRONT
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:25:58 PM by Appstro »

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
Ok let me backtrack here.. WOW all day with that print going on white shirts, but I still stick with taking the same amount of time if you had to flash colors
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much better your WOW work is on the Kruzer vs the silver press.

getting some quality 150S and 225S s-mesh screens will help a bunch as well, as you'll be able to print with less pressure which = less mesh stretch while printing.

WOW on white should not be difficult as long as your garments are well stuck to the platens, you aren't putting down too much ink (personally I'd try to use a 225S, but a standard 160 should be just fine too), and that you have somewhat consistent squeegee technique.

but again, the press DOES play a major part, and it'll be night and day from a silver press to the Kruzer.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
Ok let me backtrack here.. WOW all day with that print going on white shirts, but I still stick with taking the same amount of time if you had to flash colors

I'm not quite understanding you here Darryl, no flashing is faster, much less time between colors. He's on a manual press, not an auto.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
Why would it be less time?  With my infrared flash I adjust the height to match my flash time to my print/flood time, which is usually a minimum of 5 seconds per color per shirt.  If you are sitting there waiting for your flash you need a new flash or you need to adjust it's height. On a left chest I usually have to raise my flash because of how fast I can print/flood...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:51:22 AM by mimosatexas »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »
I don't get it . . . as Frog points out, printing multiple colors wet on wet, you can use one station and just rotate the inks. If flashing, you have to rotate both the shirts and ink. How could adding an action be as fast as printing without it???? I would rather work on one station and save the energy and time needed to turn the bottom carousel.

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
Pics of upcoming possible job. This will be going on Alstyle 100% cotton youth and adults. What mesh would you do?
BACK

FRONT

back has some stuff that is too thin to print WOW most likely. We might even have to flash that on the auto to keep everything nice and crisp. Hit yellow, red, blue and flash, then the black will tie everything in nicely. You might have issues with yellow blue transition. If you do, it'll need a flash. If separating in Photoshop, take out a pixel or so from the red ink, that will help keep the lines cleaner.
Front is no problem. Make sure you hit the red first, then blue and finish with black. 110 on white shirt might work, but higher mesh would be better.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Appstro

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »
OK another problem... I just received the shirts. The girls small wont even fit on the pallet of my new Kruzer and I don't have time to buy a youth pallet from M&R... I am left with the choice of either cutting my new pallet(s) or I was thinking maybe I could put the shirt on top of the pallet. Is that possible with 3 colors??? What can I do? I have to deliver these shirts by Friday. :( These people are impossible...ugh.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »
don't cut your pallets...

Where are you located?  I have borrowed pallets from other shops before and shared mine as well when something needed a different size than "normal".  You can possibly have a single pallet overnighted from m&R or action as well, but it will cost a lot more than a 6 pack to borrow from someone near you....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
Depending on the size of the image, it may not even fit on the youth boards! How wide is it?

For my stuff, with a usual adult design, I don't go any smaller that youth medium (for all brands other than Gildan)
With Gildans, all bets are off. Their smalls may fit on an adult board, but unless the customer knows what to expect, they may complain that they run even more than a size bigger than all others.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Appstro

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
I am in Poway,CA. I can "stretch" the shirt over the pallet a bit... The seams on the sides are right on the edge of the pallet. I wonder how bad it would look if I just stretched them a little... Luckily these M&R pallets are low profile. These girls shirts are TINY. I think Action is like $500.00 plus before shipping.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 04:11:32 PM »
You will very likely need youth boards eventually (maybe just one in a pinch)
Can you find an M&R one fairly locally?

As for stretching, remember that when you take the shirt off, it will stretch the design in the opposite direction (smaller)
Some images can handle this more than others.
Circles are the worst.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Appstro

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
Depending on the size of the image, it may not even fit on the youth boards! How wide is it?

For my stuff, with a usual adult design, I don't go any smaller that youth medium (for all brands other than Gildan)
With Gildans, all bets are off. Their smalls may fit on an adult board, but unless the customer knows what to expect, they may complain that they run even more than a size bigger than all others.

That's the other issue... I sized the image to 9.5 inches wide hoping to find a size that will work from girls small to adult 2x!!! Now looking at it the girls may wrap around the ribs. I dont even want to make more screens so.... I think I am going to roll with the same size.

Your right about the youth pallets. I just tried to the girls small on the old silverpress 10 inch pallet and it stretches more due to the silverpress hardware on the bottom being bigger.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
I have 16 inch wide and 12 inch wide and have yet to find a shirt that will not fit on the 12 inch wide, even XS women's AA and Bella.  Buy just one for now, or seriously call around and ask to borrow one.  Shops are usually cool with it as long as you don't come across as a scumbag, give them all your contact info and a date youll return it, and offer them a six pack or something for the favor...