Author Topic: Printing reversible mesh jerseys  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Printing reversible mesh jerseys
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »
Is there any tips, Is there a way to print where the holes all get filled and not pull out when taking the jersey off the board. I usually don't do these.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Printing reversible mesh jerseys
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:01:11 AM »
We have printed these PITA jerseys a couple of times and I am sure other members will have  a better answer but we simply bit the bullet and cleaned the pallet each time we pulled a jersey.
We used a Teflon squeegee from our sign supply to scrape the ink dots off the pallet after a spray down with Mean Green cleaner.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19853411?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101&adid=22222222227017670426&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=54778782551&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=90193957031&veh=sem

A quick flash to dry and start all over again.
If the design is such that you can heat press  it is a little easier but you should still place a Teflon sheet or similar between so the film does not reach/adhere to the other layer of the jersey through the mesh holes.
As I said it is a PITA hope you got a little extra dust for your labor.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:37 AM »
It's been a long time since I've done these. We would lightly tack a piece of transfer paper on the platen, then spray the paper and load the jersey and print. After printing, we'd pull the jersey and paper off together and run through the oven. Kept platens clean and when you pull the paper after curing, you might get the results you are after. Of course some trial and error involved. Like I said, it's been many years
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline abmoore

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
Nazdar offers disposable pallet tape called RTape. This would allow you to just tear off a sheet any time the ink comes through. Here is the link to it on our website!

https://sourceone.nazdar.com/P/3828/Protek-Pallet-Tape

I hope this helps!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
Nazdar offers disposable pallet tape called RTape. This would allow you to just tear off a sheet any time the ink comes through. Here is the link to it on our website!

https://sourceone.nazdar.com/P/3828/Protek-Pallet-Tape

I hope this helps!!!

I gotta say that unless this is some type of unique really low tack alternative to the pallet/transfer application tapes we usually use, this ain't the solution. When I used paper inserts, they come off with each jersey (and were removed after curing) Like many, I don't mess with screen printing these any more.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
I think the OP is actually looking to completely fill the open mesh, and not asking about keeping platen clean.  I would say no, unless you are heat pressing. 
We flash on the last station to tack up the ink and then clean when necessary.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »
Depending on the size of the mesh openings, and the thickness of the ink, the "paper left in during cure" method stands the best chance of filling, but still not consistent.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
I've used transfers or vinyl on these every time I've done them, which isn't often.  Works perfectly though.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
It's been a long time since I've done these. We would lightly tack a piece of transfer paper on the platen, then spray the paper and load the jersey and print. After printing, we'd pull the jersey and paper off together and run through the oven. Kept platens clean and when you pull the paper after curing, you might get the results you are after. Of course some trial and error involved. Like I said, it's been many years

This is exactly like what I was wanting. Thanks.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
we do them all the time; like other, tack the plate, lay down a sheet of baking paper, tack that, put the shirt on, print, remove both the shirt and the baking paper together, send down the dryer, and peel the paper while hot...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »
The downer of the paper method (besides the extra work) is the need for the dreaded aerosol adhesives

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
Ok I will give a follow up on this. I tried the transfer method and it was a not good. The paper moved or shrunk when flashed. I didn't give it much time. I had to get them done. So what I did was cleaned the board really good. I then used spray mist adhesive. I hate that stuff. I then flashed the board a few times until the board was really hot. Then I printed. I let the white flash a little longer then normal. Then printed the black and took the jersey off. It only pulled about 5 holes. Then the next one I sprayed the board again and when pulled no holes came out. Every shirt after that didn't loose a single hole. It was way easy. It has something to do with the pallet being real hot and the amount of spray tack used. If I printed more then two shirts with out applying more mist the holes would start coming out.

I did this with just printing on one board. It was slow but not that bad and the jerseys came out great.