Author Topic: forklifts  (Read 3542 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
forklifts
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »
It's becoming increasingly present that we need to buy a simple, used forklift.

I know nothing about any of this stuff, and was hoping that some of you cool guys and gals on the board can educate me, on what i need to look for!

I always see 3,000 and 5,000lb, and propane vs gas forklifts on craigslist....but i don't know what the best one to get is!

any help would be awesome!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
Re: forklifts
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »
Buddy runs all electric, loves them. Nice and quiet, no fumes etc. But hella expensive.

We have an old $1000 cat forklift. Propane, leaks some fluid drobs, has 4000+ hours...but it does exactly what its supposed to.

Your budget will determine the choice probably...cus the new Toyota Electric forklifts that are out are freakin awesome lol.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »
Check the height reach. They telescope in two or three sections and some only go up 10-12'.
3000 or 5000 will affect the size. If you don't have enough room to maneuver in between the lanes, 3k might be it. If you have the room and funds, go bigger.
Propane is not a big deal. Electric is nice, but not necessary.
There are usually forklift shops around, call them and see if they have a trade in for sale. This will get you some good will with somebody you can call when they need maintenance or repairs (and it happens more than you think).
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 12:36:41 AM »
What do you need it for... if its just to take pallets down off trucks or stack some pallets on top of each other look at a pallet stacker. You can get them powered or non powered. I have seen them as low as $800 for non powered ones.  They are only good for taking stuff off trucks. They have very low lift heights.

I would get one but all my deliveries are on lift gate trucks.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:30:10 AM »
  Be aware that some states do not allow propane (or gasoline) within a closed
work area. Check your state/local regulations before buying.

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »
5,000 pound with phenmatics. LP.  Nissan makes a really nice truck they are short so they are really nice inside. 

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
Just getting one to help move pallets off of trucks, and move some equipment around, once we start moving, in the next year.
Night Owls

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
bringing this back from the dead.

Are walk behind forklifts any good?
Night Owls

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
Powered ones are ok. Non powered ones and ice and or a few inches of snow SUCK!

I started looking further into one about a month a go. The more I thought about it I am thinking of getting a skidsteer with fork attachments.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
The more I thought about it I am thinking of getting a skidsteer with fork attachments.

Yeah buddy!

We have a 5K propane forklift. It's old but does what we need it to do, pull pallets off a truck and put them in the shop.
Made our last move way easier though. That plus pallet racks and I wonder how we ever got by without.

I'd be nervous about a walk behind and pulling pallets off a truck. That's just me though.

Our forklift model was apparently used in the military and came with instructions on how
to "disable forklift to prevent use by the enemy" which consists of punching a hole in the block one way or another.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »
Our forklift model was apparently used in the military and came with instructions on how
to "disable forklift to prevent use by the enemy" which consists of punching a hole in the block one way or another.

Good to know in case you guys are ever in a hostile takeover. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »
The more I thought about it I am thinking of getting a skidsteer with fork attachments.

Yeah buddy!

We have a 5K propane forklift. It's old but does what we need it to do, pull pallets off a truck and put them in the shop.
Made our last move way easier though. That plus pallet racks and I wonder how we ever got by without.

I'd be nervous about a walk behind and pulling pallets off a truck. That's just me though.

Does it come with the 50 caliber to perform such action?
"No man is an island"

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
pallet racks are another thing i'm trying to buy. but i refuse to buy them new. so many used ones around. but it's always a waiting game.
Night Owls

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Does it come with the 50 caliber to perform such action?

If it did it wouldn't have lived past the regulator going out.

pallet racks are another thing i'm trying to buy. but i refuse to buy them new. so many used ones around. but it's always a waiting game.

We were quoted over $4000, used, for the same racks we bought for $200. Even if you don't live in earthquake country,
secure the feet!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »
Get one that can move the most amount of weight and can support 12' forks. Trust me, with what you have coming with your move you will thank me.

It's like getting your first auto, skip the 6 or 8 or whatever heads and get at least 10 or 12. More is always better.