Author Topic: RIP upgrade time: Accurip Pearl or Filmmaker  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
RIP upgrade time: Accurip Pearl or Filmmaker
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
I currently have Accurip. It stopped working and isn't supported for Windows 10.

I can upgrade to Accurip Black Pearl for $150 or go with FilmMaker for for $300 (competitors upgrade).

Thoughts?

I did download the FilmMaker trial and looking at it now. Can you not print direct from illustrator as you can with Accurip?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: RIP upgrade time: Accurip Pearl or Filmmaker
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
just say no to Accurip's new poor business practices.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
FM is better. Is it $150 better? That's for you to decide. . . For us, I would choose FM and pay a little more.

Yes, you can print from illustrator!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:26:49 PM »
I give the edge to FilmMaker also.  I have FilmMaker XL Plus primarily for large format printer support.  The DTP Plus is the same product without support for big printers.  FilmMaker supports output from any major graphics software package.
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
Are there any free rips that let you control which nozzles you print from? Basically if you need no fancy features and make your halftone in photoshop but one to run one black and the rest cleaning fluid can you do that for free?

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
Are there any free rips that let you control which nozzles you print from? Basically if you need no fancy features and make your halftone in photoshop but one to run one black and the rest cleaning fluid can you do that for free?

No free RIP exists to send data to the inkjet regarding the number of heads used when imaging film.  Although if you're converting the channels to bitmaps within Photoshop, the concept of using a RIP is no longer viable.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
I'm not overly concerned with the $300 vs $150 if it is a lot better. But if it is very close than I'll save the money and stick to what I know.

Looking at the trial there does seem to be a lot more options.

How do you print right from Illustrator? I'm not seeing "film maker to Epson" listed as an option under the printer tab.

I'll peep through that thread for info. Thanks Frog!

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
All that's needed to do is select the Epson Driver provided by FilmMaker for your Epson printer model within the print dialog box of Illustrator.  That selects FilmMaker and will send the file to the RIP.  You'll see two, one is the default Epson Driver and the other is the FilmMaker driver.  They'll have slightly different names.

I have a video covering printing from Illustrator and am using FilmMaker.  Skip to about 4:20 into the video for an example.

http://www.ultraseps.com/print-photoshop-color-separations-using-illustrator.php

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
All that's needed to do is select the Epson Driver provided by FilmMaker for your Epson printer model within the print dialog box of Illustrator.  That selects FilmMaker and will send the file to the RIP.  You'll see two, one is the default Epson Driver and the other is the FilmMaker driver.  They'll have slightly different names.

I have a video covering printing from Illustrator and am using FilmMaker.  Skip to about 4:20 into the video for an example.

http://www.ultraseps.com/print-photoshop-color-separations-using-illustrator.php

Thanks! It's in there. I was looking for "FilmMaker to 1400" as that is how Accurip came up. This was camouflaged.