Author Topic: Epson 4800  (Read 7106 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Epson 4800
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
I agree with Zoo, I think you just need one black to get great film.  I know you got a 7800 but we have a 4800 modified so the left side is sublimation inks and the right side is used to print inkjet film.  We have only one black cartridge on the right, 220ml Black Max from Ryonet, with 3 cleaning fluid cartridges in the remaining 3 slots.  This has served us very well and the films are darker than our R1800 films were.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Clark

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
I have been using the FilmDirect ink for a couple years and love their stuff.  So will probably go with their system.  I have accurip currently, but will need to buy the EX version for the big printer.  Would love to try out FilmMaker, but I refuse to have a PC in my shop, so until they make a version that is compatible with OSX, I'll be running accurip.  So why do you have the cleaning soultion in three slots Alan?  I hope I'm not going to have to be cleaning heads alot.  My Epson 1400 and 3000 before that hardly ever needed a head cleaning.  Actually, thing I have only done the 1400 once in 3 years.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
I have been using the FilmDirect ink for a couple years and love their stuff.  So will probably go with their system.  I have accurip currently, but will need to buy the EX version for the big printer.  Would love to try out FilmMaker, but I refuse to have a PC in my shop, so until they make a version that is compatible with OSX, I'll be running accurip.  So why do you have the cleaning soultion in three slots Alan?  I hope I'm not going to have to be cleaning heads alot.  My Epson 1400 and 3000 before that hardly ever needed a head cleaning.  Actually, thing I have only done the 1400 once in 3 years.

if you have a windows box laying around somewhere you can turn it into a print server and keep your mac. . . they have a special on competitive upgrade, but I am not sure if the discount applies to wider printers. I would drop them a line.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Clark

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
So would I have to have illustrator and photoshop for the PC?  I have a fairly new PC laptop that I bought for a shipping computer, but the mouse went out in the first week so I never used it. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »
So would I have to have illustrator and photoshop for the PC?  I have a fairly new PC laptop that I bought for a shipping computer, but the mouse went out in the first week so I never used it. 

nope, but you will need to connect the printer to the laptop. make sure you have the right ports . . .

pj
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »

We use the cleaning solution to fill those 3 unneeded slots for real cheap.  I don't touch the 4800 at all but I don't think we have to do many, if any head cleanings.  I think it does a mini purge/cleaning or something on startup everyday so any major head cleanings should be few and far between if you use the printer on a regular basis.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
The cleaning carts are there so that, when the printer runs cleanings (which is does whether you leave it on or turn it off at the end of the day) yer pumping cheap cleaning fluid instead of spendy ink.  The _800 series seem to be waaaay better than the old epsons in the clogged up heads department so it's rare that you need to run a power cleaning or anything, it's mostly just to flush lines when you need to switch inks or something. 

For a rip station why not just put vmware fusion on one of them macs (they're intel right?) and rip away.  XP sp2 runs like a jackrabbit as a virtual machine and, aside from the couple hours of trimming windows down into an actually functional operating system, you don't need to worry about stability as much because fusion lets you take and automate "snapshots" and if crap gets weird you just revert back to a snapshot.   

Then again, I'm like you and effing hate microsoft programs, so I'm accurip because of this as well.  I'm sure there's better, fancier rips out there but she works just fine for me, the price is right and Charlies support is excellent and informative.  I was very interested in checking out filmaker but this idea still persists that nobody uses macs for some reason

Offline Clark

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
The cleaning carts are there so that, when the printer runs cleanings (which is does whether you leave it on or turn it off at the end of the day) yer pumping cheap cleaning fluid instead of spendy ink.  The _800 series seem to be waaaay better than the old epsons in the clogged up heads department so it's rare that you need to run a power cleaning or anything, it's mostly just to flush lines when you need to switch inks or something. 

For a rip station why not just put vmware fusion on one of them macs (they're intel right?) and rip away.  XP sp2 runs like a jackrabbit as a virtual machine and, aside from the couple hours of trimming windows down into an actually functional operating system, you don't need to worry about stability as much because fusion lets you take and automate "snapshots" and if squat gets weird you just revert back to a snapshot.   

Then again, I'm like you and effing hate microsoft programs, so I'm accurip because of this as well.  I'm sure there's better, fancier rips out there but she works just fine for me, the price is right and Charlies support is excellent and informative.  I was very interested in checking out filmaker but this idea still persists that nobody uses macs for some reason

To me running Windows on a Mac is the same as owning a Ferrari and never getting about 35mph.  I do have this windows laptop here (that lasted a whole week before it broke) so if I can figure out how to do it, I might just leave it as a RIP Station, whatever the hell that means

I really don't see why they don't make a version for mac.  If you look at auctions of screen printing businesses they are predominantly mac, not to mention most of the shops I know of are mac to some degree.  Oh well, I bet as soon as I buy Filmmaker for PC they'll come out with a version for OSX.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »

For a rip station why not just put vmware fusion on one of them macs (they're intel right?) and rip away.  XP sp2 runs like a jackrabbit as a virtual machine and, aside from the couple hours of trimming windows down into an actually functional operating system, you don't need to worry about stability as much because fusion lets you take and automate "snapshots" and if squat gets weird you just revert back to a snapshot.   

To me running Windows on a Mac is the same as owning a Ferrari and never getting about 35mph.  I do have this windows laptop here (that lasted a whole week before it broke) so if I can figure out how to do it, I might just leave it as a RIP Station, whatever the hell that means

I really don't see why they don't make a version for mac.  If you look at auctions of screen printing businesses they are predominantly mac, not to mention most of the shops I know of are mac to some degree.  Oh well, I bet as soon as I buy Filmmaker for PC they'll come out with a version for OSX.

we are off on a tangent here, but I am going to continue . . . If you send me the laptop, I'll set it up for you. All you'd have to do is get it on your network.

pierre

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
You can use an older Mac as a print server too, load AccuRIP on it, and all of your other Macs will be able to print from it. I had a older iMac G5 doing that for the last couple of years, but it just died and was replaced with a new Mac Mini...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't