Author Topic: Rutland HSA Soft White is discontinued, need a replacement!  (Read 7579 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Rutland HSA Soft White is discontinued, need a replacement!
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:25:22 PM »
We were re-upping on some Rutland HSA Soft White and I hear it's all gone....and no replacement product is available.

I need a replacement HSA opaque white asap, we're down to our last 4gal here.

When we initially settled on Rutland there were less options available and I've only tested one of the newer options.  CCI Pure White, Wilflex Oasis and Green Galaxy all were beat by Rutland Soft White in testing, although CCI's was close in performance, just a touch runny so the opacity suffered a bit. 

That leaves Magna, Matsui's new stuff, and Virus no?  Also need west coast availability on this.

Offline KevWilso

Re: Rutland HSA Soft White is discontinued, need a replacement!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
We stock all the new Matsui RFU inks here, as well as all their pigments and bases. 
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
I'm sure Mike will chime in, but I believe he really liked the Virus stuff when he tested it.  Not sure if that has become his standard or not though....

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
Check out Virus, Screen Printers Resource (s and n cal depending on product) has it.

May be just me, but consistency in terms of opacity/water content has varied a bunch
from batch to batch on just about every type we've tried. One direction is an easy fix, the other
takes some time.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:24:48 PM »
Did you ask RC Screen to send a sample of the Matsui white?

I believe they have the 301 in stock.

Thankfully I still have about 3 gallons here and we don't use it that often right now.....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »
Is Rutland discontinuing the whole HSA line or just a few products? I assume they are just stream lining it

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »
Hey thanks everyone. 

Sean / Jameson - I'll order some Virus from Screen Printer's Resource in the a.m.  What Virus White is recommended?  We're looking for the opacity of Rutland's if at all possible so need their HO white.  I can't figure out their lineup well, Hydra, Hydracryl or Perfetto is the HSA?

I think the rheology changes are natural to packing this ink.  Wilflex got it right with their crazy twist lock container for HSAs (well mostly right, the gasket doesn't play well with the ink...) but their Oasis ink just seemed inferior in testing, at least the HO white did.  We tend to retard heavily and run on the wet side due to our climate.

Colin- Christine already emailed about the Stretch White, thoughts on that one?   

And I'm jealous, we're down to 4gal here as well which is not going to last us through the next few weeks, our HSA runs tend to be on the heftier side.

Brandon- I don't know what the hell they are doing.  Word is no other products are being discontinued. Whispers have been that the line is being upgraded but there is no replacement product for Soft White right now.   That's not right.  They screwed up on this and as immense of a project as switching ink brands would be right now I'm considering it.  I find it disrespectful that Rutland chose not to inform their vendors and users well in advance and do not like scrambling for a replacement during one of our busiest seasons.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
We were re-upping on some Rutland HSA Soft White and I hear it's all gone....and no replacement product is available.

I need a replacement HSA opaque white asap, we're down to our last 4gal here.

When we initially settled on Rutland there were less options available and I've only tested one of the newer options.  CCI Pure White, Wilflex Oasis and Green Galaxy all were beat by Rutland Soft White in testing, although CCI's was close in performance, just a touch runny so the opacity suffered a bit. 

That leaves Magna, Matsui's new stuff, and Virus no?  Also need west coast availability on this.

The AquaFlex or AquaFlex V2 from MagnaColours would be a possible product offset for the Rutland HSA Soft White.

If you're interesting in reviewing this ink please drop me an email with your contact information and I'll get a 5KG sample on the way to you.

Peter   
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
Looks like Mr Walsh has got a good offer for you.

We use the Optimoon, but hit up SPR and ask for Kevin, or I can
shoot you his email tomorrow. One of the rare sales dudes that has
used the new (to the US)  inks extensively. If you need a fantastic
black plastisol ask him about his mix as well. Oh, and they sell the
IT wb black thats super cheap and actually really nice.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
Peter - thanks!  Nazdar has been a good supplier to us and I'd be happy to try the Magna HSA.  Email sent.  The TDS you attached noted this as a process/tonal ink, is there an HO white offered by Magna?

Sean - I'll ask for Kevin and that's encouraging to have a sales rep that knows the product.  HSA can be hard with reps.  What's this IT WB Black?  Not to derail but we use CCI Spot Black for an RFU black.  It's good, performs well on a wide variety of fabrics v. cheaper options which lack adhesion on some blends/neons, but it's a bear with dry in on high mesh and does not receive additives well. 

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »
Peter - thanks!  Nazdar has been a good supplier to us and I'd be happy to try the Magna HSA.  Email sent.  The TDS you attached noted this as a process/tonal ink, is there an HO white offered by Magna?

Sean - I'll ask for Kevin and that's encouraging to have a sales rep that knows the product.  HSA can be hard with reps.  What's this IT WB Black?  Not to derail but we use CCI Spot Black for an RFU black.  It's good, performs well on a wide variety of fabrics v. cheaper options which lack adhesion on some blends/neons, but it's a bear with dry in on high mesh and does not receive additives well.

Good catch Chris, let me check in with some of the smart people at Nazdar SourceOne and make sure that we send you MagnaColours most Opaque HSA White.

Stay tuned.

Peter
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 11:21:26 PM »
I was told some time ago that Rutland was reformulating their HSA line to be more user friendly and more opaque, with white being their first color made. I was also told that Rutland believed they had plenty of inventory on hand to keep making ink until the re-formulation was done....

Kelly told me today that.... they are still working on it and it is their number one priority..... /sigh :)

I have heard really good things about the 301 stretch white, but I have not had a need to try it yet.

Best of luck with your replacement search!  Fill us in on the details!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »
I was told some time ago that Rutland was reformulating their HSA line to be more user friendly and more opaque, with white being their first color made. I was also told that Rutland believed they had plenty of inventory on hand to keep making ink until the re-formulation was done....

Kelly told me today that.... they are still working on it and it is their number one priority..... /sigh :)

I have heard really good things about the 301 stretch white, but I have not had a need to try it yet.

Best of luck with your replacement search!  Fill us in on the details!

I have the 301 stretch white. It is nice but dries in the screen almost instantly. I need to order some additive to keep it open longer. It is a GREAT ink though once on the shirt PFP, super opaque and has a little stretch to it.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »

IT is  Image Technologies I think. Apparently when they were handing out screen printing chemical company acronyms you had the
choice of three letters, I, T or C.

Put it through 305 on 500 pieces yesterday. I know we printed a ton of viscose blends a while ago but that may have been a different black.
At fifteen a gallon I'd say give it a whirl. Oddly, I had used it years ago when looking for a premix, and hated it. Tried it again
recently and was really impressed.

Offline UnderPressureSP

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
I like the Virus Hydracryl white with 5% retarder.   Also the magna HSA white is great as well with 5% retarder.  The virus ink we get is from http://www.spsi.biz/  out of cali.  The perfecto white is more for 100% poly of poly blends hsa.  We tried to get Rutland HSA but since they were going to stop making it they wouldn't sell it to us.  We run both magna now for color mixes and Virus for our under base/white.   Magna also is on par with virus for there white but they all need some retarder.