Author Topic: is that as good as it gets with a Kornit DTG?  (Read 5190 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: is that as good as it gets with a Kornit DTG?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »
I will say the brother folks did get us confident on the machine before they left.  It's a pretty brainless thing to operate...the hard part is getting the PT right.

I didn't like the settings the tech recommended.  I can print faster with the same vividness printing 600 dpi.

Brandt should be good to go, but I would play around for a week or two before selling any white ink jobs just to get comfortable.

As you know Brad, "poop occurs", especially with deadlines looming. I have seen vast differences between sources I've tried over the years, and even a little inconsistency from folks who "have it down". I just don't believe that it as "pushbutton instant automatic" as it's sold as, and the value of operator experience should not be underestimated, Brother (or any other) training notwithstanding.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 01:26:51 PM »
Looks like print quality was sacrificed in favor of print time and ink costs.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
I will say the brother folks did get us confident on the machine before they left.  It's a pretty brainless thing to operate...the hard part is getting the PT right.

I didn't like the settings the tech recommended.  I can print faster with the same vividness printing 600 dpi.

Brandt should be good to go, but I would play around for a week or two before selling any white ink jobs just to get comfortable.

As you know Brad, "poop occurs", especially with deadlines looming. I have seen vast differences between sources I've tried over the years, and even a little inconsistency from folks who "have it down". I just don't believe that it as "pushbutton instant automatic" as it's sold as, and the value of operator experience should not be underestimated, Brother (or any other) training notwithstanding.
See us at the Longbeach show and bring a stick with files on it. I doubt anyone else will be as simple to print as ours without manipulation. Ours is 99.9% point and shoot for excellent results even on black. Ask Brandt in a couple of weeks.
Rich Hoffman

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

See us at the Longbeach show and bring a stick with files on it. I doubt anyone else will be as simple to print as ours without manipulation. Ours is 99.9% point and shoot for excellent results even on black. Ask Brandt in a couple of weeks.

Can I bring six different shirts as well? That's one of the variables that seems to be best learned by experience. Stick with what a manufacturer suggests works well and all should be fine. Take in something else from a trade client, when still getting your feet wet and who knows?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »
Everything said here is making me really do my homework before we pull that trigger, going to a show and watching it print only lets you know what kind of print it can do , but you doing on your own is a whole different ball game, and Mr. Hoffman can you explain to me what makes your machine so much better (point and shoot) than every one else that have been dickin around with this for years?

d
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline TCred

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
is anybody making any aftermarket pretreats for the Kornit?

Not as far as I know.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 06:40:15 PM »

Is it possible its on poly t.
Grey ink color makes me wonder or they did not do the right setting.
Shane
These are 100% cotton tees. No poly at all.
What they have produced is such a mess.
Yes and no need for them to be so "sehr geizig", they charge for sample runs of 4 pcs around $45 per shirt.

Most likely it's printshop lack of:
-knowledge,
-or readiness to test settings for your shirts, if new to them
-or having poor drying tunnel
-or being too "geizig" because white costs about 1,00$ per properly executed print like this.

Or combination of above reasons.

We don't print that crapy, even on cheap blends. We spend more ink, even loose money sometimes, but this shouldn't leeave shop. It's not Kornit, it's operaters.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »
honestly what pisses me off is the fact that this shop we trusted to do those samples are specialized in DTG. They run 2 or 3 Kornit one of them a Kornit Storm, a Mimaki DTG and a Brother DTG. We bought the garments for the samples of them so I would assume they know how to set up their machines for the different garment types they offer, but no they ship crap. I do wonder how they are still in business. Oh wait I know why because the other shops we tried in the past ship the same shitty result as them. That`s why I suspect the training by the distributer is below standard.