Author Topic: Photoshop layers question  (Read 3460 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Photoshop layers question
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
I've printed seps from in photoshop so long in channels, what would be the problem in setting up my art and printing from layers in Photoshop....somewhere I think i've done it in the past before I started using the auto sep programs like Ultra Seps.

d
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Photoshop layers question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »
Just turn on and off layers and hit print each time?

I can't see a problem in that as long as it's gonna print 100% solid black (when it's supposed to).

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:21:22 PM »
A few rips can do this and some sep programs are set up this way. For me, for the life of me, I can't remember what rips and what sep programs let you do that....but its not all of them and only recently, within the last few years I would assume.

I've not heard of sending seps via layers in the past. It doesn't seem to make good sense to me, since they are built up in RGB or CMYK.  Like how does a RIP know to convert a Gold gradation into a single spot color separations...and not have any other dot gain added given that it's RGB (3 channels) or CMYK 4 channels) within the file...and comes out as 1 channel sep with proper dot gain adjustment. At best, I'd feel that was kind of a low end method similar to using the bitmap method of halftone conversions. Yes, it works, but how well? How accurate?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
A version I know of is to save each layer as a separate tiff; you can overlay them, and spot color them in Illustrator.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I just turn the sep colors all to black and they printed out fine using Accurip...like Gilly said just turn on and off the eye.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
I sep in layers usually vs channels.  Depends on the art somewhat for me.  Probably a habit I should break, but it's what I'm comfortable with and works fine.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
10 years ago, I'd of said that was blasphemy. Now, I've seen enough to say anything goes and there is now right way.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:05:09 PM »
I sep in layers usually vs channels.  Depends on the art somewhat for me.  Probably a habit I should break, but it's what I'm comfortable with and works fine.

I've been thinking of trying that, but I'm so used to saving the channels as .dcs, I haven't gotten around to it. But I have my curiosity about it...

Steve

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 06:04:51 AM »
Being more of an Illustrator guy, I have never properly figured out how to use and edit channels properly so the layers approach fits better with my prior experience. Probably need to figure this stuff out if I'm going to try any sim process jobs in the future.
Any recommended tutorials on using channels for seps in PS?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »
Check out rising sun graphics tuts on YouTube for a basic start, there are others but I like his persona. :)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:29:43 AM »
I almost always separate in Layers, since the bulk of my work is simple spot colors. Thats just how I learned it.

When I do simpro work, I use Ultra Seps. And I am NOT good at it...at all. That is the only channel work I do.

I need to step up my game. I have Mitch Different's book, but havent done much with it. (Embarrassed to admit)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 11:54:14 AM »
I almost always separate in Layers, since the bulk of my work is simple spot colors. Thats just how I learned it.

When I do simpro work, I use Ultra Seps. And I am NOT good at it...at all. That is the only channel work I do.

I need to step up my game. I have Mitch Different's book, but havent done much with it. (Embarrassed to admit)

Simple spot colors in channels is also very simple; say you open a simple file like the American Red Cross, it has a red cross and black text. Using the magic wand, select the red, save it as a channel, then do the same with the black; double click the red and assign it PMS 185, and do the same for the black, except name it Black 1 (you add the "1" so it doesn't get confused with the "Black" already in the Illustrator color pallet). Now you have a RGB or CMYK file in color, plus the two separate channels; save it as a .dcs 2.0. "Place" it into a new Illustrator document, you'll notice that the 2 spot colors you assigned in Photoshop are imported into your color pallet. Go to "Print", separations, and uncheck the 4 CMYK channels if are checked, leaving only your Black 1 and PMS 185 Red to print when you send it to the printer... (hint: I like to choose "All unused colors" in the Illy color pallet and chuck them, so I only have the spot colors I need there...)

Steve

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
As long as you think of channels like screens/films in screen printing, it is a lot easier to keep your head wrapped around it.