Author Topic: vinyl cutter  (Read 11113 times)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: vinyl cutter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
I install when asked....But I am still not very good at estimating my time and/or I work too slow so it ends up being less per hour that I want....I have tried to do more with wall vinyl and heat press vinyl than sign/window vinyl.....Those clients do not seem to be as price sensitive as sign/window vinyl clients.....If you have a heat press there is money to be made....I get 6.50 for a 2" high name and 3.00 per digit for 8" numbers....

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
I install when asked....But I am still not very good at estimating my time and/or I work too slow so it ends up being less per hour that I want....I have tried to do more with wall vinyl and heat press vinyl than sign/window vinyl.....Those clients do not seem to be as price sensitive as sign/window vinyl clients.....If you have a heat press there is money to be made....I get 6.50 for a 2" high name and 3.00 per digit for 8" numbers....

Yeah I have a heat press , though it's only 16x16 least it's a swingaway.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »
Do you guys go to location to put up store front graphics or do you let the customer handle that?

dude. . .call me. . we can give you training on installation & equipment. . .for ZERO start up costs. . .your move.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Sean, I don't mess with anything but heat seal cad cut. It's a field that goes right along with your other shirt work. Pretty easy to learn for simple stuff.
If you are wanting to expand to other areas, then there are banners, windows, and even expensive car wraps , but that's a whole new field, with a whole new learning curve, and more demands on your equipment.

Now, with these new temptations though, I would recommend a better cutter, sooner or later, because even the GCC folks say that the $450 model is really hobby or at best, "light production" level. We all remember your disappointment with your last foray into "entry level" equipment. You must accept it for what it is.

Perhaps, like the advice given you to save and get a real dryer years ago, start with whatever you can, and earmark profits to upgrade sooner than later if and when the need appears.
For occasional use,  you will probably do fine with this cheapie. If you find that you are really using it regularly, step up.

Another stop gap measure would be to have someone else cut for you, and you apply. I'm lucky enough to have an agreement with someone for just this service.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »
Do you guys go to location to put up store front graphics or do you let the customer handle that?

dude. . .call me. . we can give you training on installation & equipment. . .for ZERO start up costs. . .your move.

I may have to take you up on that when I get my cutter.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »
We bought a 24" Roland back in '94, and it's still cutting just fine, recently had to replace the blade holder, also replaced the strip under the blade and the ribbon cable. That's kind of like putting a set of tires on your car every 200,000 miles or so. Look for a used quality cutter is my advice. I see mine selling for 400 to 500 now and then, but I'm sure you can find something newer.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline garagewear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
I bought a Chinese unit and got by for about three years then my laptop died and I spent several months trying to get it working again. Gave up and gave it to Palmeto. Bought a Roland GX24. Best money I have spent in a long time. My 13 year old can operate it with no problem and I haven't messed up a single piece of vinyl (yet) in 6 months.

B