Author Topic: what would it take for you to join SGIA? Please help with an answer.  (Read 13943 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: what would it take for you to join SGIA? Please help with an answer.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
Like I said before I am a Lindbergh printer, strictly solo no help consumed every day with not flying into the side of a mountain.
I have absolutely no interest in SGIAbut i just spent about 15 minutes on the SGIA web reading through to get some color in  a greytone picture.
My standard is much like reading a job posting. the rule goes that if you don't understand the terms, language or intent of the job listing iT AIN'T THE JOB FOR YOU.
SGIA looks like on first blush to be a remarkably powerful organization . as such there is definately a high water mark that most of the folks here (onTSB) I believe ,  would simply drown in the lower depths.

I think of such organizations as kind of like a jet leaving a contrail in the sky. If you are qualified to fly the jet JOIN THE GROUP,
If you are big enough to fly first class JOIN THE GROUP, If you are a frquent flyer you might want to join the group. If you fly once or twice a year or less then you are simply part of he contrail and will most likey gain no benefit and find yourself evaporating in the rear view mirror.

The TSB certainly has some skilled pilots and many, many, first class flyers but like a commercial jet most of the seats are assigned to ink jockeys like me. If you are not seated in the first 6- 12 rows of Silkscreen Air my guess SGIA is not for you.
mooseman

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:32:30 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »
I guess my question would be-
What is SGIA's goal aside from membership fees? Draw more people/attention to their classes offered on the east coast? More advertisers, editions and "meat" for their garment publications? Greater attendance or becoming the "go to" trade show?
I don't think any of those are easily feasible or even realistic.

As a "potential" member, I would want ACTUAL benefits, although as I already said a fancy plaque doors sound nice....

-Maybe working with wholesalers to establish year end rebates. Some of us see these when you reach a annual sales volume, but most, myself included would see this as a perk.

-Information, resources, and contacts for shipping zone jumps. These exist everywhere, you need to have the time and dedication to find them.

-ACTUAL buying/discount perks. I'm not talking the BS shipping stuff they have now. Invest more than 5 minutes with a vendor and establish REAL deep discounts. This could extend to suppliers. I have our usual ink, emulsion, ect. suppliers that we get discounts from. If they are out of something and we have to turn to a 3rd or 4th choice supplier, it would be nice to have a 10% SGIA discount.

-Supporting resources we find valuable(read- paid advertising on TSB).

-Software/subscription discounts. Off the top of my head- Adobe, Intuit, Shopworx, PriceIt, InkSoft, clip art, sure there are others out there I'm missing.

-Social media resources. This is way over my head I will admit this. But I know the more exposure the better. Maybe feature a different shop weakly(shops would have to submit write ups and photos).

-Credit card processor negotiated rates. Again, this would have to be better than a basic or "Sam's club" discount. Spending time seriously negotiating here can make a difference. Rates that we as individual companies would have a hard time getting.

-CRAZY idea here.... Scale back the textile part of the SGIA show(maybe even every other year) and partner with Impressions for ISS Long Beach... A Long Beach show that is larger(probably need a different venue) more classes, another day, cut the BS red tape that surrounds some things or topics. Speakers from around the globe. The vendors could make their booths that much better/bigger because they don't have to split their trade show budget between 2 shows.
I know this idea is extreme. Fact is the SGIA show will NEVER be as popular for textile printers as Long Beach is until the all garment manufacturers/distributors start having booths.

I know I am extreme, high maintenance, and probably a bitch of a customer to have(my list of demands above may be proof) but I have really always kind of wished there was a association that would ACTUALLY provide benefits for us.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 09:30:17 AM »
What does membership cost? 
Why doesn't anyone want to answer this question?

sorry, just trying to keep the thread on topic. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
I am a member and will continue to be, but I have to say I agree with all of Alex's points.

I look at it as pretty much the only major industry organization for us, and kinda like a 'chamber of commerce' membership.  We are active in 2 of our chambers, the 3rd one is more for 'street-cred', and while we do get some work out of those members, it's more to be part of the community.

I could be wrong, but the $450 it costs per year to be a member isn't really a killer in my book, and if they start to do more/better things in the future all the better.

It has seemed to be turning VERY flat-stock/non-textile tho, so I may re-evaluate in a few years.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »

I could be wrong, but the $450 it costs per year to be a member isn't really a killer in my book,

I agree with you here, the sticker, plaque and cool club status would almost make me join. It's the principal here that bothers me.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »

sorry, just trying to keep the thread on topic. . .

pierre

Cost could be a huge reason someone would or wouldn't join. So it might "take" a lower price for someone to join.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
At $800 for us id have to see some value that I can't google for. That's what it would take for me to join. 

Offline islandtees

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
We feel the cost is to high with what you get out of it. Reduce the fees and maybe more will join.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
REAL discounts on top of the ones we have already negotiated would be nice. We have already negotiated large discounts on just about every product or service we use. I often find that discounts offer by associations like this are less than we already have.

Also, organizations that attempt to be all things to all people become diluted in value... IMO. Which I'm guessing is one of the reasons why the price is what it is. We would be more inclined to join an association that focuses on our core. Not one where 75% of the information is focused on 0% of our business. Even the tagline of SGIA says "Supporting the wide format community". We are in the t-shirt screen printing business, not the poster business. I'm guessing that many of the forum members are like us.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »

"Supporting the wide format community".

Woah, I totally thought ment supporting 2XL-5XL....
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »

"Supporting the wide format community".

Woah, I totally thought ment supporting 2XL-5XL....

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2016, 12:27:35 AM »

From my viewpoint I simply have not made the time to research it yet.  Thanks to our green amphibian friend for the link.

However I spoke with SGIA yesterday and they are slammed with preparation for the planning meetings Mon-Wed of next week and this thread is on the membership committee task list as of now.

One of their digital media staff is going to be tasked with adding TSB to their reading/monitoring list so as to respond to inquiries such as this thread with factual current data.

Should be Scott Carter so when he starts posting/responding be patient and welcome him to the party.

Greg:  So glad to hear that SGIA is coming to the party, and will be an active participant here on TSB.  I have been relentless in my pursuit of the Executive Leadership from one of the major Textile Screen-Printing Ink Manufacturers in trying to convince them that they need to develop a presence on The Shirt Board.  Recently this companies Director Of Marketing assured me that he supported the concept and that he would be requesting a resource to participate on this site with his 2016 Manpower Staffing Plan.

I laughed a little at his comment and told him that Nazdar SourceOne didn't have any dedicated resources, and the best part-timers we have are Rob Coleman, a couple of our Inside Sales people and that old and balding Australian guy.  But at least we were better off than M&R who really only have their Company Founder and CEO to participate.  The thing that I love the most about this industry is that the people who thrive and survive all have a passion, and the really smart people that don't get it, are normally pushed aside. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:32:56 AM by pwalsh »
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
I know I am extreme, high maintenance, and probably a bitch of a customer to have(my list of demands above may be proof) but I have really always kind of wished there was a association that would ACTUALLY provide benefits for us.

Alex,

You are quickly becoming my hero and soon may move into the my mentor category?

I really like the questions you ask and kind of remind me of a t-shirt guy in Decatur IN before he became a little bit lazy and accepting of the status quo!  Keep asking those high maintenance questions -somebody needs to.

Everything you mentioned can possibly be a benefit of association membership however must be done very carefully to avoid any appearance of price fixing or monopolistic practices,  Put your lawyer hat on and read the attachment.

TSB generally does a very good job of keeping the conversation positive and this thread is a great example of that.  Keep the hard facts /questions coming and I will do my best to bring SGIA to the party as the balding, (chubby?) Aussie mentioned.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 08:12:41 AM by GKitson »
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 08:07:45 AM »

I think of such organizations as kind of like a jet leaving a contrail in the sky. If you are qualified to fly the jet JOIN THE GROUP,
If you are big enough to fly first class JOIN THE GROUP, If you are a frquent flyer you might want to join the group. If you fly once or twice a year or less then you are simply part of he contrail and will most likey gain no benefit and find yourself evaporating in the rear view mirror.

mooseman

Well looks like this may become a metaphor day.  About a million years ago my home town had a small town crisis when the local HS Athletic Director started scheduling games with schools that were much larger than ours and the feeling was that the kids would become depressed because they would lose a lot of games.  Can't have the kids unhappy can we. 

AD stood his ground and the athletes got their butts handed to them a few times and responded by working harder, imagine that.  Big problem the next couple of years was they were running out of hallway space for trophy cabinets. 

SO in my mind joining the Diamond FF programs of screenprinting allows me to work on my business.  See you guys in the skylounge!
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:18 AM »
I will do my best to bring SGIA to the party as the balding, (chubby?) Aussie mentioned.

Kitson, I self labelled myself as "Old & Balding" but you had to go and pile it on with adding Chubby!  You're a hard man Greg!

Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing you in Long Beach.

Peter

Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662