Author Topic: How hard is embroidery to learn?  (Read 12861 times)

Offline shaneds

• Verified/Junior
Re: How hard is embroidery to learn?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »
We just brought machines in house approx 2 weeks ago. Our vendor was downsizing so we picked up 6 single head machines off of them. Before 2 weeks ago we knew little to nothing about embroidery. After researching online and playing around a few days its coming together quite nice. After seeing the quality we are doing within two weeks and the quality we were receiving from our vendor, I agree with the easy to learn and hard to master idea.  Having super cheap/fast digitizing services available makes it easy to get into I feel.

Offline jasonbrook

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2016, 04:01:41 AM »
Hi,

Its been 3-4 years I'm doing embroidery. Embroidery is something that comes when you practice a lot. 
Research online, read blogs and articles for new techniques, ticks and tips for hand and machine embroidery http://absolutedigitizing.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Absolutedigitizing/Hand_Embroidery_Stitches_One_Must_Be_Aware_Of
Just keep on practicing and you will master in embroidery.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:15:46 AM by jasonbrook »

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
Thanks for the link Jason.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »
I've been quietly reading this topic for a while now. We've been outsourcing all our embroidery needs but haven't been able to find a decent supplier that meets our needs for turnaround and (contract) pricing. Just pulled the trigger on a 2 head machine. We'll see how it goes and how much money we are able to make off of it.

We were making decent money with outsourcing so I'm guessing we'll be able to grow and make good money bringing it in house. Even if we don't have enough production daily, there's more work that needs to be done around the shop so a new hire was already in our (near) future.

Digitizing is what troubles me. Our machine comes with Wilcom software but it's going to take a while to learn how to work with it.
Anyone knows of a good digitizing service we can begin with?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:54 PM »
Well congrats. Please do follow up posts to this thread or start your own with your progression.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
been learning Wilcom myself for the past couple of months.  Its complex, but the basic stuff is not that hard.  For simple stuff the auto digitize works great, you just have to correct the order it sews, for some reason the software never does it right.  And its bundled with Corel, and they interact with each other, for us it sux because we are Adobe people.  But I am getting used to it.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline jvieira

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 07:56:18 PM »
been learning Wilcom myself for the past couple of months.  Its complex, but the basic stuff is not that hard.  For simple stuff the auto digitize works great, you just have to correct the order it sews, for some reason the software never does it right.  And its bundled with Corel, and they interact with each other, for us it sux because we are Adobe people.  But I am getting used to it.

We are Adobe people too, hope there's a way not to use Corel, no one in the company (we employ 3 designers) knows how to work with it

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »
I've been quietly reading this topic for a while now. We've been outsourcing all our embroidery needs but haven't been able to find a decent supplier that meets our needs for turnaround and (contract) pricing. Just pulled the trigger on a 2 head machine. We'll see how it goes and how much money we are able to make off of it.

We were making decent money with outsourcing so I'm guessing we'll be able to grow and make good money bringing it in house. Even if we don't have enough production daily, there's more work that needs to be done around the shop so a new hire was already in our (near) future.

Digitizing is what troubles me. Our machine comes with Wilcom software but it's going to take a while to learn how to work with it.
Anyone knows of a good digitizing service we can begin with?

What type/brand of machine did you go with? I've been following this as well and am trying to determine my best pathway into this as well.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »

We are Adobe people too, hope there's a way not to use Corel, no one in the company (we employ 3 designers) knows how to work with it

the auto features ONLY work with corel.  You can however do your work in ILLY and open it in Corel and then import into Wilcom.  That's how we are doing it.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:36 AM »
so far auto digitizing is like a separations plug-in.  It gets you almost there, but you will probably have to tweak it to make it work just right.

I would recommend taking a class on it.  I am sure there are plenty of online videos from reputable sources on how to digitize as well.  A lot of it is trial and error.

Or better yet, master name drops and easy stuff and send out the complex work to professionals.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
You wont have to know how to use corel to work with it. Wilcom will just bring in the file (it uses corel to do it). You will still do a lot of work not a lot "auto" about it if you care about the sew out. But it will help you in some cases.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
You wont have to know how to use corel to work with it. Wilcom will just bring in the file (it uses corel to do it). You will still do a lot of work not a lot "auto" about it if you care about the sew out. But it will help you in some cases.

1 color simple logos, it seems to work.  But it gets the sewing order wrong.  Still learning though.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »

1 color simple logos, it seems to work.  But it gets the sewing order wrong.  Still learning though.

Often the software will have stitches going wrong way in parts of the logo vs other parts, using wrong stitches, and often on lettering a mess.  It still requires a good bit of work. Nothing automatic about it in any case ive seen. Yes some half ass users would just auto digitize it and sew. But that wont keep customers lol.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »

Often the software will have stitches going wrong way in parts of the logo vs other parts, using wrong stitches, and often on lettering a mess.  It still requires a good bit of work. Nothing automatic about it in any case ive seen. Yes some half ass users would just auto digitize it and sew. But that wont keep customers lol.

You are definitely right, no substitute for learning the right way.  That's what I am working on, right or not at all.

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
There is no substitute for good digitizing. Stitch type and direction can give a design a lot of depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk