Author Topic: Foil  (Read 6044 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Foil
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
What brand of foil is everyone using?

We use Amagic/Klaser, but i'm wondering if there is something better?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Foil
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:41:02 PM »
I think amagic was the consensus "best" last time this topic came up.  I use crown usually due to availability, but it has issues from time to time...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:07:51 AM »
my understanding is that Crown is actually the best and Amagic a very close second. I've heard of ppl switching from Crown to Amagic due to better pricing and and an insignificant impact in performance.
We use Crown, but did not test anything else. . .

what's the problem with it?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:55 AM »
Since we do inline foil on the roq oval compared to heat pressing our results might be different but we have found these to be the best in this order

1. Crown Roll Leaf
2. Infiniti
3. Univaco
4. Amagic

Out of the above 4 amagic has been the least desirable for me to use on our machine here. They offer lots of cool foils but I've found they don't release as well as the others. They do make an easy release(not sure what they call it) that I have not tested yet so that might be better.

For us one of the most important parts is the actual glue we are using. Without the right glue foil can be a bear to do correctly. We've found the virus waterbase glue to work the best followed by HD clear plastisol

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
For us, Crown also releases the best. We use Amajic too, but only when we can't get what we want from Crown.

As a side bar, Silver foil seems to be hard to get to release from the liner perfectly. We use waterbased Virus adhesive for Silver whenever we can. It performs better for us, but we foil in a separate step. We also use Wilflex Clear Gel for some colors of foil.

All PFP'd, cured in the tunnel then out to the heat press.

I've seen Danny's rig. Wow!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »
Silver was always a pain for us as well, and the Amagic has actually performed best in that color.

I think, not unlike white inks, that any of them will work, but technique must change to fit the material.

We like HD clear tinted for visibility.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
Since we do inline foil on the roq oval compared to heat pressing our results might be different but we have found these to be the best in this order

1. Crown Roll Leaf
2. Infiniti
3. Univaco
4. Amagic

Out of the above 4 amagic has been the least desirable for me to use on our machine here. They offer lots of cool foils but I've found they don't release as well as the others. They do make an easy release(not sure what they call it) that I have not tested yet so that might be better.

For us one of the most important parts is the actual glue we are using. Without the right glue foil can be a bear to do correctly. We've found the virus waterbase glue to work the best followed by HD clear plastisol
Danny, which supplier are you using to purchase the virus adhesive. I've uses the Matsui in the past, but I  hear the virus is great stuff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 01:03:24 PM »
Virus is awesome. we love it too.

we get it from kevin at river city!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »

1. Crown Roll Leaf
2. Infiniti
3. Univaco
4. Amagic

Danny, which supplier are you using to purchase the virus adhesive. I've uses the Matsui in the past, but I  hear the virus is great stuff.

In the past I have purchased it from Amagic but knowing Kevin has it and is only a 2 day ship I would check him out!

Danny Gruninger

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
didn't mean to spread any misinfo, and I may have been reading about the silver like eb mentioned.

My issues have mostly been with gold in the crown, and it is mostly related to irregular releasing.  I usually pfp with 135 or 110 using clear base as others have mentioned.  It is somewhat random, but occasionally there will just be issues where the final "print" looks almost like light grungy, with spots missing hear and there, while the next one will be a completely clean release.  Could be issues with specific shirts, maybe a specific flood or print stroke, or irregularities in the foil itself.  Honestly it isnt enough of an issue for me to have tried to pinpoint it.

I will say, I have not tried the virus adhesive but have heard it is awesome.  I also see foil prints in stores and being worn on occasion that look MUCH smoother than I have ever been able to get.  Usually my foils seem to pickup a bit of the texture of the shirt, while I have seen foil that looks pretty much perfectly smooth, almost like vinyl, but with the softer, thinner results you see with foil.  Any ideas on how to get the smoother finish?

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »
Virus is awesome. we love it too.

we get it from kevin at river city!
Nice I'll have to give him a call. Kevin is great.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
<snip> I also see foil prints in stores and being worn on occasion that look MUCH smoother than I have ever been able to get.  Usually my foils seem to pickup a bit of the texture of the shirt, while I have seen foil that looks pretty much perfectly smooth, almost like vinyl, but with the softer, thinner results you see with foil.  Any ideas on how to get the smoother finish?

PFP'ing Wilflex HD Gel II through a 110 (110-80) mesh gets us the smoothest foiled effects. YMMV. I've done some 135-48 and can't really tell much difference. Crown Gold foils perfect for us using it, but it doesn't have as nice a feel as the waterbased Virus adhesive. With silver, I ALWAYS use the Virus, regardless of the desired hand.

And on a personal note, my new vacuum platen (Mimosatexas Style  ;) ) works great! I want to try to print some HD Gel on transfer paper for foil. Just to see how it works. I might try 83 mesh and powder adhesive, cold peeled, and want to see if PFP'ing is still necessary. THANKS!!

@ Ericheartsu, I didn't realize Kevin @ River City sold the Virus adhesive. I can highly recommend using the retarder too. The adhesive "rolls up" in front of the floods and squeegees like butter.  I use it on my manual too. Good stuff!

Anyway problematic foils get the Virus treatment for us. Otherwise, Wilflex Clear HD Gel II. 

I suspect that the precise dialing in of temps, times, and pressures at the heat press have nearly as much bearing on success as what happens on the print floor. An air operated heat press sure helps with repeat-ability, since it eliminates one more squishy variable.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
Just put an order of adhesive in with Kevin! Keeping my fingers crossed it can ship today(did you hear that Kev LOL)  :P

Danny Gruninger

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
Thanks Danny!  I did get it and it will ship today.  I will send you tracking shortly.

Thanks again.
Kevin
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com