Author Topic: Time to get ink.....  (Read 12818 times)

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
Re: Time to get ink.....
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
We did it... Pulled the trigger!!!!

We were talking about putting together sample kits, what do you guys think should be included in the kits? Be reasonable, we are po folks here, and a 5 gallon sample (Brad) is tough....  ;D  Any feedback is appreciated!!

Brannon:  Congratulations on this next step in developing your business. You’ll probably need to decide how valuable my advice is, given that we are going to be competitors for ink sales in the Atlanta Market, but here’s some feedback to your question regarding sample kits.  “Don’t do it” especially given that you’re just starting out.  You’re dealing with products from an established North American ink manufacturer, and also with Professional Screen-Printers on this forum.  These guys don’t need a quart or even a gallon of free product to test it out, and you can’t afford to support free five gallon samples. 

My advice would be for you to get first-hand experience with how well each specific product or ink series performs on press, and to learn how to optimize the results.  Provided you are satisfied with what you see, you should work with your Supplier Manufacturer to provide a 100% money back guarantee to people who purchase the product from you.   In the long run this approach will demonstrate yours, and the manufacturers commitment to the quality of the product, far more than tossing out a few freebies to folks as samples to try and scare up some sales. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:10:02 PM by pwalsh »
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »
I have to say that a small sample pint for manuals, maybe quart for autos of some whites can do a lot to sort out the usefullness of a new ink.
A return of a full gallon (or at least the purchase price) on a guarantee of satisfaction can be a costly process considering the wide range of white characteristics and properties.
A white perfect for one application could really be a poor choice for another.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »
I would think the manufacturer would support a sample program, not the distributor. In my daytime job the manufacturer tell us if we need to sample something do it and they will issue a credit mostly with no questions asked some with paperwork needed but maybe its different in the screen printing industry.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
I have to say that a small sample pint for manuals, maybe quart for autos of some whites can do a lot to sort out the usefullness of a new ink.
A return of a full gallon (or at least the purchase price) on a guarantee of satisfaction can be a costly process considering the wide range of white characteristics and properties.
A white perfect for one application could really be a poor choice for another.

Andy:  I agree with the tiny samples if you are dealing with a newly developed ink, or where the supplier doesn’t know the correct press settings, screen, and stencil selection to get optimized results.  The truth is that the supplier isn’t providing a whole lot of value to the printer, or to their own company if all they are doing is throwing one-pint, or one quart samples against the wall to see what sticks.  If the ink is an established product with a record of being successfully used in other shops, the supplier is at little risk of loss, and will be providing the maximum value to their customers if they supply a quality product with instructions on how to use it, and back their product with a money back guarantee.   

One other thing about these small volume samples is that there is danger that the product supplied might not always be consistent with the actual production inks supplied on follow-up orders.  It’s possible for a couple of things to happen with a small volume sample, that include:  The sample might have been poured off a larger volume container that wasn’t fully mixed to disperse the components completely through the ink, or the sample may have been sitting on the shelf for an extended period of time and is no longer as fresh as recently manufactured inks.

In either case it’s possible to get a false positive or a false negative in product performance, which is why I support a program of selling a product with a 100% guarantee backed by the technical support of the supplier and manufacturer.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
We did it... Pulled the trigger!!!!

We were talking about putting together sample kits, what do you guys think should be included in the kits? Be reasonable, we are po folks here, and a 5 gallon sample (Brad) is tough....  ;D  Any feedback is appreciated!!

Brannon:  Congratulations on this next step in developing your business. You’ll probably need to decide how valuable my advice is, given that we are going to be competitors for ink sales in the Atlanta Market, but here’s some feedback to your question regarding sample kits.  “Don’t do it” especially given that you’re just starting out.  You’re dealing with products from an established North American ink manufacturer, and also with Professional Screen-Printers on this forum.  These guys don’t need a quart or even a gallon of free product to test it out, and you can’t afford to support free five gallon samples. 

My advice would be for you to get first-hand experience with how well each specific product or ink series performs on press, and to learn how to optimize the results.  Provided you are satisfied with what you see, you should work with your Supplier Manufacturer to provide a 100% money back guarantee to people who purchase the product from you.   In the long run this approach will demonstrate yours, and the manufacturers commitment to the quality of the product, far more than tossing out a few freebies to folks as samples to try and scare up some sales.

Good advise Peter.... Unlike some people ( ;)) I feel we can still be friends even tho we are competing for the same market. There is plenty of business for everyone!! You sell M&R, I sell Anatol, You sell Wilflex, I sell Excalibur.... I don’t blame my competitor for beating me... I blame ME!!

Competition doesn’t mean we can’t still be buds  ;D
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 12:38:06 PM »

Brannon:  But you're a Punk and everyone knows that I'm a nice guy, so how's that going to work out?  :)

Take care mate, maybe catch you at SGIA New Orleans if you are going.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2011, 12:46:20 PM »

Brannon:  But you're a Punk and everyone knows that I'm a nice guy, so how's that going to work out?  :)

Take care mate, maybe catch you at SGIA New Orleans if you are going.

Not only a punk... A smart a$$ that doesn’t know when to shut up sometimes  ;D

That’s OK, maybe your Nice Guy persona will rub off on me, and I can be respected like U one day  :-*

Prolly not SGIA, Anatol has Reece in New Orleans... We are the red headed step child in that area  ;)

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
Update!!!

Excalibur is in stock!!!

Check out our selection...

http://shop.spotcolorsupply.com/Screen-Printing-Inks_c56.htm

50 Standard Colors, 3 Whites, Black, Base, and Pigments  ;D

If anyone wants a color card PM me...

Every ink order includes a free ink knife!!

(Not a crappy plastic one either)

TSB members get 10% off of their first Excalibur order....

Use promo code TSB10

Orders placed by 4:00 pm Eastern Time will ship the same day!!

Check out the site; let me know what you guys think???

Offline garagewear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
You need to look into PrintTop ink as well. They have a Pthalate free and a PVC/Pthatlate free.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
I have tried some of Printops ink and its pretty good but the white needed some reducer. screenprintingsupplies.com is dicontinuing it and I dont know of any other supplier.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
Maybe one day... Gotta get this Excalibur moving first!!

It has been a while since ive delt with a pigment/base system. I was a lil worried about the mess, but the Excalibur pigments are much thicker than the Wilflex pigments!! This makes handling them much easier  ;D

We will hopefully have the High Opaque colors on the site soon!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
Brannon, did you get my email, or are you just ignoring me?  ;D

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 09:11:37 AM »
Brannon, did you get my email, or are you just ignoring me?  ;D
I would never ignore you brad  ;)

I didnt?? Did you use sales@spotcolorsupply.com....?