Author Topic: advice on employee being out more than a month?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
advice on employee being out more than a month?
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
So my screen guy hurt himself over the weekend. At his house, broke his clavicle.

So if he is out for the month, thats too long for us. Im short 2 employees so there is no one to clean the screens. I cant do it because im printing because we are short people.

Im bringing in the hurt guy to talk with him. I can not hire a guy or gal for a month. So not sure what to do.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Re: advice on employee being out more than a month?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
Broken Clavicle is no joke ask me how I know and renders him pretty useless in a production area...always tuff for a small shop to cover this instances good luck!
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
can you get a temp to wash screens?

I know they are a little more expensive and will work slower, but that's happens when the crap hits the fan.

If he has his arm in the sling, can he answer the phones or do embroider or something else that needs one arm only?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »
From my own perspective, I had injuries a couple of times in the 18 years I spend at my first shop, and they made allowances for me, and paid me, 6 weeks of full pay one time, and paid me for 40 hours the first few weeks back for half days, until I could stand all day again (disc issue). That being said, I did have some value, ran the screen dept., converted the art dept. to digital, knew all the production stuff, and kept up with the trade as others I worked with didn't care if they weren't at work. You are in a tough place, but I'd try to figure something out if you value him, good luck...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »
this is a high school kid.. 3 afternoons a week.

sooo. SBREM ..Im not paying him..LOL

I should get on that temp thing quick!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:28:06 PM »
this is a high school kid.. 3 afternoons a week.

sooo. SBREM ..Im not paying him..LOL

I should get on that temp thing quick!

No, I wouldn't either! I was thinking an adult; just find a body out there with a good attitude...

maybe he could come back later when you need more help, like summers between college semesters.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Lizard

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »
I have brittle bone disease so I have had many breaks. Last time I broke my collar bone I was back working on cars I three days.  He will have to work slow but he should be able to work in a week or so.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
does he have friends?  Probably not if he works in a screen printing shop, but start there and see if anybody he knows can fill in.  It's not like your talking a lead printer or another position that takes a ton of training.

When we are backed up I use my brother-in-law's landscapers on rainy days.  One guy can come in and tear through a stack of screens pretty quick.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »
How many screens are we talking?  Can you do it on a Saturday or Sunday?  Do you have enough inventory of screens to shoot for the week?  If not, I know someone who sells screens. ;) :o
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald