Author Topic: CTS VS Adding Auto  (Read 12872 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: CTS VS Adding Auto
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »
To piggyback on Alan's comment, the guy already has a trilock and isn't using it.  I'd say the first step would be to start using it and see what benefits they see in the shop.  Read the recent thread about DIY FPU's and the trilock and how close to microless setup you can get with no new equipment.  While the "getting the image on the screen" part will be a bit quicker with CTS, the setup on press will be nearly identical, so learning to use the trilock NOW will help in the future with or without the CTS. I can't understand how anyone with a trilock compatible auto would be relying on registering to a film taped on their press instead of superior technology they already own...

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »
CTS argument is always interesting. Not every shop runs the same. We each comment with based on each of our shops context, but each shop are different and staffed differently. Some have spent bunches of time on perfecting each process and that's great. Some shops don't have that time and are already working year around burning candles at both ends. So maybe they hire a CTS machine to make things easier. If you got a bunch of free time and your trying to put off a CTS expense, I would certainly spend every minute you can improving all that pre-press work. Neither are particularly wrong. Many shops here are very bare bones on employees and stretched thin on free time. So everyone has to evaluate what is smartest for their situation. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
I'd agree with Alans post

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »
Alan's post is correct, and he's right it comes down to the shop.

if they aren't using any sort of pre-reg then getting another press is a waste of money.  I watched a shop with 7 or 8 autos not print a single thing for the 2 hours I was there because they were all setting up jobs.  That's pathetic.  It was the first jobs of the day.  That being said, CTS probably wouldn't help them much because they didn't have their crap together.  Maybe they could change their workflow to make it work, but there were too many bad habits.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »
^^^ I agree with you. I may do a dozen or two screens a day, and CTS is next on my purchase list. It's worth it alone to not have to deal with the headaches of lining stuff up manually and taping up reg-marks.

Still think CTS.
Much cheaper than a new press and the crew to run it.

If u want to see one, I think you are just up the street from me.

Yessir! not too far from me. I'd love to come check it out!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 12:05:11 PM »
^^^ I agree with you. I may do a dozen or two screens a day, and CTS is next on my purchase list. It's worth it alone to not have to deal with the headaches of lining stuff up manually and taping up reg-marks.

Still think CTS.
Much cheaper than a new press and the crew to run it.

anytime!

If u want to see one, I think you are just up the street from me.

Yessir! not too far from me. I'd love to come check it out!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »
anytime.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
As most of you know, I'll bitch about just about anything! ;D I was very skeptical about CTS mainly because we had a very good reg system, which in my mind canceled out a good amount of CTS justification. And with the long list of things we should of addressed first, a "new model" price for us just didn't make sense. We got a great deal on one and did it. Happy we did. We are in the lower screen count camp as well, but it really makes for a nice workflow. There have been times we are imaging, burning, soaking and coating at the same time. Need a auto rinse out and the cycle would be complete.

Here are what I've found to be the biggest drawbacks(it is hard to even call them that but again, remember I like to bitch). Probably different on different machines but still something that probably relevant.
- Multiple size screens provide the need for a bit more thinking and extra time.(Multiple size screens is a stupid idea for many more reasons besides this I know)
- The initial learning and understanding of the art prep.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:56 PM »
To piggyback on Alan's comment, the guy already has a trilock and isn't using it.  I'd say the first step would be to start using it and see what benefits they see in the shop.  Read the recent thread about DIY FPU's and the trilock and how close to microless setup you can get with no new equipment.  While the "getting the image on the screen" part will be a bit quicker with CTS, the setup on press will be nearly identical, so learning to use the trilock NOW will help in the future with or without the CTS. I can't understand how anyone with a trilock compatible auto would be relying on registering to a film taped on their press instead of superior technology they already own...

I'm no where near the level of even starting to think of a CTS.  But I did make a DIY tri-lock system and have only had one job since where I had to touch a micro.  Not having to tape film to screens has been very nice

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »
If it were me, I would chose another automatic press.  I understand why CTS users love them. But at the end of the day, I find it hard to believe that ROI is faster/greater versus what another press can offer used effectively. First thing, START USING YOUR TRI-LOC! You may find the results slow you to put off adding equipment.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jvieira

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
If it were me, I would chose another automatic press.  I understand why CTS users love them. But at the end of the day, I find it hard to believe that ROI is faster/greater versus what another press can offer used effectively. First thing, START USING YOUR TRI-LOC! You may find the results slow you to put off adding equipment.

Press + crew
vs
machine to streamline processes

It's a no brainer to me, honestly. Crew means salaries and mostly problems (injury, being sick, pregnant, etc).

Use tri-loc and see where that leads you. definitely faster set up times and better use of the equipment you already own

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 06:43:25 AM »
Let's say this guy adds the auto instead of the CTS, can he handle the extra screen load on his screen guy(s) to support another auto?  How much time is his shop spending on registration not using a Tri-Loc?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »
All in all it's a nice problem to have when you can't decide what cool new gear to get next... :)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
i agree, more employees + more potential headaches.

That being said, I love my crew, but if somebody is out it can seriously screw the day or week.  Your CTS shouldn't come in on Monday hung over or sick with ZIKA.  Not to mention hiring 2 people + a press would equal about 5x more than the monthly payment on a CTS.  Just sayin.

I would honestly look at a consultant as well.  You should be using your tri-lock.  Your are wasting time there and frankly that's the most troubling part.  A new press would simply be a band-aid on larger problem.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »

I would honestly look at a consultant as well.  You should be using your tri-lock.  Your are wasting time there and frankly that's the most troubling part.  A new press would simply be a band-aid on larger problem.

I have had the pleasure of visiting quite a few shops and am often greeted by an unused tri-loc gathering dust in the corner,

Lots of excuses, none are valid reasons, but they all begin with "My guys tied it once & ....."

To quote Mr Coudray, it is all about CPR, if you don't control the variables you accept less than....(Fill in the black)

My 2 cents this morning,
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050