Author Topic: Making a tutorial-style video...  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Making a tutorial-style video...
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
...Im thinking of making a few tutorial-style videos, geared mostly toward quick, basic overviews of things we explain to our clients on a regular basis (for instance, vector art vs. raster art). This is something Ive never done before, and I'm not familiar with much media-editing software (I have edited a few in Windows Moviemaker, but thats about it). The sort of video I have in mind is the type that is essentially recording what is happening on your computer monitor as you do things in say, Illy or Coreldraw. Like a videoscreen-capture sort of thing.

...does anyone know what software or other peripherals (I assume some sort of mic), to do this? Im not looking for anything too fancy, and would probably be fine with a freeware if one is available.

....thanks guys!!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
Re: Making a tutorial-style video...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:24:30 PM »
Definitely check out OBS.  It's free, works for mac & windows and can capture any screen to make these type of videos.  You can even put a webcam of yourself in the corner of the video.

https://obsproject.com
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
camtasia is pretty easy if you have no clue what youre doing as well.  There a tons of screen cap options out there, many geared toward gaming.

Offline AAMike

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
My suggestion is to remember that a good video starts with the script. Write and record your voice over and then overlay the video that supports the audio. Of course if you do any on-camera shots, the audio and video are recorded together.

Offline Bidsmaven

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:30 PM »
We use Adobe Premier for our tutorials.  If you subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud (Business Level) for your access to Illustrator, then you also have access to Premier. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:52:21 PM »
Premier has a learning curve that is probably steeper than what the OP wants, but it is definitely an awesome program.