Author Topic: A thought I've had... 25x36" screens with no tape...  (Read 2619 times)

Offline ffokazak

A thought I've had... 25x36" screens with no tape...
« on: February 27, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
Just playing with the thought, Anyone doing this?

25x36 frames, 20 inch scoop coater, without tape? If printing on 16x20" pallets there would be a good amount of overlap...

I can see when doing runs of 13000 shirts, tape is a smart choice. Ink flings, and kind of spreads.

But say 150 pieces, 8.5"x 11" front image, using winged flood bars on the larger frames , I can see an advantage of not taping up the screens for material savings, and time savings in clean up.

So, Anyone going without tape?!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: A thought I've had... 25x36" screens with no tape...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
We use 23x31 roller frames with 16" winged flood bars and rarely use tape on plastisol jobs.  No issues at all.  I'd have to check but I think we use a 18" scoop coater.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
anyway to stop using tape that ends up in the trash is a good thing, save money and landfill.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »
we used to do just that with the old crew. Since restructuring we are back to using the tape. I should really look into why . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:52:53 AM »
My crew would probably just get ink on a lot of shirts if we did that. 

I really would like to eliminate tape and still use rollers though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline john52

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »
We started using screens from Graphic Screen Fashion with their screen sealant system about a year ago.  25 x 36 frames with 16" Squeegees & Floodbars using M&R Ink Traps.  This has been a major improvement for our shop.  The cost of not using tape is one of the last benefits I think of.  The time it saves is huge and the mess of pulling tape off screens is gone.

John
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:04:24 PM by john52 »

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »
Exactly my thoughts... Less waste is key. 

I think the time saved would be major as well. I see guys fighting tape when cleaning screens, and it is such a waste of time.

Im still on 23x31 rollers mostly , so maybe I will start experimenting!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
plastisol job on press today ... 23x31 roller frames, tape only at the ends (due to not having emulsion coated all the way up there).

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »
I use tape when I lazy doing my emulsion, but when not lazy I take a fake CC that we all get in the mail and spread emulsion to the edge's of the screen on the shirt side works great.  I did the block out stuff and really didn't like it at all so the emulsion works just fine and cleans off easy.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jvieira

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
We started using screens from Graphic Screen Fashion with their screen sealant system about a year ago.  25 x 36 frames with 16" Squeegees & Floodbars using M&R Ink Traps.  This has been a major improvement for our shop.  The cost of not using tape is one of the last benefits I think of.  The time it saves is huge and the mess of pulling tape off screens is gone.

John

We too have been experimenting with this with good results. Only did one screen so far but it worked perfectly. Will soon be sealing them all and avoid tape for good.

Cost savings
Time savings

It makes sense to do this