Author Topic: Cold weather and Ink  (Read 1976 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Cold weather and Ink
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
Just had our first frost today, and it got me to thinking about the effects that cold weather has on inks. For me my shop is not heated, other than dryer, and flash units running and it never gets below freezing inside the building but it does get cold after hours and through the night. I have said for years I was going to build a cabinet and put my Whites, golds, and the inks that are stiff even in warm weather in this cabinet with some sort of heat system. Anyone do this or have any suggestions on keeping these inks warm and loose.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Cold weather and Ink
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
A simple small cabinet with an incandescent light bulb can do the trick, though 100 watt bulbs are going to disappear. Many with drying cabinets put them into service doing double duty, and I have been known to bring the inks planned for the following day, into the house, a convenience of having my shop on my property.

Depending on temps, the tops of dryers also sometimes offer a solution.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
We never hooked gas up to our office or warehouse since it was cheaper to heat it with space heaters than pay monthly fees.  That ended when we got the gas oven.  We had all furnaces and the oven hooked up to the same meter(they were on 2 before) and that has really cut out electric bill in the winter months.  The inks print much better in the winter than they did before.  Even a small space heater to help keep the ink area warm would be a great idea.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
A cabinet that has a pipe heater filament running vertically along the inside of the cabinet back or underneath the shelf(s) of inks. Almost plug and play.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
Maybe this cold ink thread should be merged withe the "small penis" thread.