Author Topic: Tyvek  (Read 2446 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Tyvek
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:38 AM »
Need to know what if any ink exists or the process that is best for printing Tyvek bags. We will have to print around 5,000 want to know if even possible or pass on the job thanks.

Nazdar I would assume?
"No man is an island"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Tyvek
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
Back in the mid '70's, a place I worked printed long rolls of this stuff that were used on buses to list routes and destinations. We used something from Nazdar, probably solvent based.
Perhaps, now there is a UV cure ink.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
I believe Fed Ex envelopes made of Tyvek are printed with UV obviously that will not work for us.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I believe Fed Ex envelopes made of Tyvek are printed with UV obviously that will not work for us.
[/quote
Do you have a forced air dryer? I bet a fast evaporating solvent ink would dry before they hit the other end. Run little to no heat and as fast as that stuff dries it might work. Just a thought. I dont know if it works on Tyvek but it did on some electrical panels we did.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline squeegee

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Nazdar 9700 series works well for us.

Offline Silbersieb

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
Hello,

once we used inks from MARABU. MARPOL/MARAPROP worked fine. Look for an ink that will work on untreated polypropylen. NAZDAR has everything for difficult substrates.

Good luck!

Burkhart

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »
Unfortunately we received the below concept and the text looks like it will be much to small for the detail to hold up. I am almost positive this material will be some what rough and difficult to print any serious detail. We will be receiving samples of the bag soon to try first before we commit.

"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »
Are the bags sewn already?  I know that paper printers can run tyvek, they hate it a lot of times, but they can do it.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
TW wb, both the flat and gloss claim to print tyvek though I've never done it.  From that mock I would demand them un sewn.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
There in lies the problem the bags are already built, huge investment! The company is some type of marketing company that actually receives awards or whatever for their products, in other words they need utmost quality. We will receive the samples soon but I am already convinced since the bags are sewn the material is less than flat it will be an exercise in futility. We will give it a small test but probably pass.

I wonder how much it cost them to have the 5,000+ custom ordered?
"No man is an island"

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
You can get a nice laminated bag from China and land it for less than 1.25 each.....Got 90 - 110 days?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
Their design team will probably freak but, they need to pull that text out of the region around the straps.  Dumbasses should've known to print first before sewing with placement like that.  As it is, you're looking at up to three runs of printing per side to get it tight.  There's a slight chance that you could pull it off printing right over the straps if they're also tyvek, self-material, but it sounds sketchy at best for such a large run. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »
Yeah, this is going from bad to worse.  I would quote this son-of-a-bitch high and hope you don't get it.  And if you do, use some of the money to build some custom platens....I have a feeling you're going to need them.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
Got the samples in today and it is exactly what i thought. Rough! Here is the real kicker notice in the pic the small text is actually shown on the bottom of the bag as in underneath! Can this get any worse? That will have to be addressed obviously. This will not cost us anything except a little time, and their budget is huge, they being a loyal customer we will atleast give it a small amount of effort. Time frame is out of the question to have redone the correct way.

I am going to Shoot a 300 screen and use some GP Nazdar ink we have in stock just to gauge the detail we can get.

Here is a pic of the bag it is not even the same construction as in their proof.

"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »
it's always something.  good luck