Author Topic: How would you sep this?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How would you sep this?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
Pierre awesome glad some one understood where I was going with that. And I did wonder if FM had something available since it is what I use.

I see where you are headed, but a cog in the wheel is that the dot size of a 1% in a 35lpi is very close in size to the dot size of a 2% in the next jump up such as a 2% in a 40 lpi  So I don't foresee an easy or smooth drop off or fade.

Dan you missed my point, the dots would have to stop at 5% just the line count would have to diminish each line like Pierre posted above.
"No man is an island"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Pierre awesome glad some one understood where I was going with that. And I did wonder if FM had something available since it is what I use.

I see where you are headed, but a cog in the wheel is that the dot size of a 1% in a 35lpi is very close in size to the dot size of a 2% in the next jump up such as a 2% in a 40 lpi  So I don't foresee an easy or smooth drop off or fade.

Dan you missed my point, the dots would have to stop at 5% just the line count would have to diminish each line like Pierre posted above.

Maybe I am still not seeing "your point". What i read you saying, it not quite what Pierre posted. It seems to be half pertaining to what he posted. The part about having the smallest dot be 5% is understandable (you and Pierre on the the same page).  Thats what I described in my image example....and thus your next post with the question but I was referring to a specific (or only one) line screen.  Pierre's image that he posted shows only tontal compression as far as I can see. Basically, that is what i did manually in the example I posted. In Pierre's example, it does not have anything that I see (that shows two different sized line counts) like 45 and 55.  In the 2nd part of your post where I am getting lost on your desire or intent is that It looks like you are referring to (combining multiple line counts in the same screen (in the same highlight area).

Pierre refers to the hybrid printing of two or more dots sizes) (but those aren't really all (5% tints  unless the spread our further (randomly) to simulate a 5 % tone. Lets say that all multiple line counts are 5% and no less.

If you are at a point where you can hold down to a 5% (tint), in a given line screen, then (any line screen less than 55) would be larger than a 5%.

Lets say  5% in a 55lpi is (just tossing out a number), 100 microns wide and is the smallest dot you can hold.
The next row of dots would be 50lpi  at 5%   becomes 110 microns.
and the next row would be      45lpi  at 5%   becomes 120 microns.
and the next row would be      40lpi  at 5%   becomes 130 microns.

The fact that the4se dots get bigger (and are forming a line pattern still), would indicate that when combined with the 5% in your 55lpi, you are no looking at a 55 "tint" but more like a 7 or 10% tint.

So the lower you take the line count, the bigger the dot (but still represent a 5% tint).

If this is not what your were referring to then I am really out in left field.

Mark Coudray did have an article on this but he was referring to a hybrid of Stochastic (scatter dot) below 5% and traditional dots above 5%.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
Does FilmMaker work with Canon Printers? I think I read they only work with Epsons?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »
Does FilmMaker work with Canon Printers? I think I read they only work with Epsons?

from Cadlink for the $395 version:

Supports the following printers: Epson 1100, 1400, 1410, 1520, 1800, 1900, 2200, 2400, 2880, 3000, 3800, 3880,Canon LP17, 650, 655

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
Dan your discussion makes my head hurt!

All I am trying to say is if you can only hold a certain size dot lets forget percentages just a very specific certain size dot. At some point when you develop a screen all the dots below that size will not develop or actually some might come through looking really splotchy, I see this when I print something like a grey scaled photo.

Look at the image below I used a dot and spread it to 50 dot in an inch. Lets call those dots 5% black. The next line is only 48 dots. Then the next is 46 etc. What i would find cool is a software that can stop shrinking dots at a certain size and just maintain that certain size till it fades out to nothing on the line count.

Does this make sense?
"No man is an island"

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
That drawing reminds me of the bottom of a flapper dress or maybe I watch too much Boardwalk Empire.

This is one thing I have never grasped about RIPS.  If I set it to "X" lpi, then the dots should go no smaller than that specific size, thene they should be spaced to give the effect of a smaller dot.  Sort of like spreading your peas out on your plate makes it look like you ate more.  ;)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
That drawing reminds me of the bottom of a flapper dress or maybe I watch too much Boardwalk Empire.

This is one thing I have never grasped about RIPS.  If I set it to "X" lpi, then the dots should go no smaller than that specific size, thene they should be spaced to give the effect of a smaller dot.  Sort of like spreading your peas out on your plate makes it look like you ate more.  ;)

Ummm, the dots represent a percentage of black, so at any LPI, they get smaller only if the area of the image is lighter. The spacing remains the same, but the dots themselves get smaller. At higher percentages, over 50% the dots get so large that they start to overlap, but THE SPACING IS THE SAME (sorry, not yelling, just emphasizing...)
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
all that for a dot!!! LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
Ghostscript with Ghostview takes all of about 10 minutes to get setup and working.  And this is if you are taking breaks to watch some TV while setting it up.

With the right set of instructions, I agree.  And I have such a set 1-2-3.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
Dan your discussion makes my head hurt!

All I am trying to say is if you can only hold a certain size dot lets forget percentages just a very specific certain size dot. At some point when you develop a screen all the dots below that size will not develop or actually some might come through looking really splotchy, I see this when I print something like a grey scaled photo.

Look at the image below I used a dot and spread it to 50 dot in an inch. Lets call those dots 5% black. The next line is only 48 dots. Then the next is 46 etc. What i would find cool is a software that can stop shrinking dots at a certain size and just maintain that certain size till it fades out to nothing on the line count.

Does this make sense?

well now,  that is a horse of a different color. I'll have to sleep on this one. (rough day). Tax extension deadline today. (Phew!) Did I ever tell ya I hate Taxes?

What I see so far from the image is interesting. One one side, it works. On another side, it's questionable and requires more thought.  I like it though,  It's got a bit of a Wooshis Wong Chinese graphic artist feel to it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »
How about this graphic? A local pastor called me and said a printer burned him for his money and was wanting to know if I can print them. Looks out of my current ballpark but would like to hear what you guys think.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
If this can be reduced to fit within your max print size then it's 6 colors and you can do this.

1 Base white
2 Teal
3 Green
4 Purple
5 Blue
6 Top white

If you can hold 50lpi on 300 mesh, then you can print this.
You can also do it in 45lpi on 230 mesh but the above would be better.

if they don't want to reduce it, then just job it out to a jumbo printer or an all over printer that can handle it. The thing about the all over printers are that they are much more exp. on the screens and films charges than a normal print.  Production is production. So depending on the quantity, they may not even want the all over printing.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
The problem is they need them by Thursday. I have about 4 230 mesh screens and the rest are 180s and 158s. The biggest film I can print is 13x19 unless I do some splicing but I would not be comfortable doing that. I will see if they want to shrink the design but the problem there is they pre sold about 100 of them on that graphic so I dont know if it will work for them.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
As much as you want the money, don't let his problems become your problems. 

Tell him to tell his followers that was an artistic presentation and the actual picture will only be 12 x 18. 

Ask him when he last got a Whopper that looked like the TV ad.

Just my thoughts.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »
I messaged him and said that the graphic would have to be shrunk and it would be a HUGE stretch to get them done. I just feel bad when printers burn people. That being said that is only his side of the story and I understand that as well. You know the worst one about the burgers are Carls Jr and the western bacon cheeseburger. Those are my favorite but it looks like after they make them they sit on them or something lol.