Author Topic: progress on my Workhorse refurb  (Read 13946 times)

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Re: progress on my Workhorse refurb
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
Yes, they are VERY overpriced but I understand why. He builds them as he sells them, been to his shop nothing compared to the Workhorse plant. Very small operation. Feels more like a mom and pop shop.

Yea, when you call R. Jennings you get "R" answering the phone!
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Shawn, I have no guff with you in buying the second press, I too am a one man show and have no less than five contraptions here capable of holding screens printing on some type of thing. BUT, here is something to think HARD about...

With the way the economy is, and the flood of used equipment now in its wake, there may NEVER be a better time to invest in an auto. Remember, you can always sell it down the road if its just not for you.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
Yes, they are VERY overpriced but I understand why. He builds them as he sells them, been to his shop nothing compared to the Workhorse plant. Very small operation. Feels more like a mom and pop shop.

Yea, when you call R. Jennings you get "R" answering the phone!

Yeah along with the history of the business and why his stuff is far better compared to other companies lol. He will say if not his press get an Antec.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
Shawn, I have no guff with you in buying the second press, I too am a one man show and have no less than five contraptions here capable of holding screens printing on some type of thing. BUT, here is something to think HARD about...

With the way the economy is, and the flood of used equipment now in its wake, there may NEVER be a better time to invest in an auto. Remember, you can always sell it down the road if its just not for you.

Pondered an auto I found on ebay for 1500.00 , 8 color precision (not the oval) but besides the brand scaring me away it's in FL and I'm in NY and this sucker is HUGE. Its being sold by a guy that owns the space, I guess his tenant left it behind. I dont even want to know how much it would cost to freight it here much less crate everything. Just checked it's gone anyways...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:05:58 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
...yeah, you dont want that, those are just too outdated for todays standards. A buddy of mine here picked one up thru an online auction for next to nothing, but the cost to get it running sounded like waaay more than its worth. Plus the resale on that is NADA, printers are hauling those away to the scrapyards nowadays.

...I dont wanna be just another board member here to give you advice unsolicited, but I will at least make a suggestion: start squirreling away whatever cash you can, and keep a close eye on the used market. Use your second press as much as you want, and when your savings get close to enough for an auto, sell the press you use the least, and put that toward an auto too.

...I would also heavily consider going after some contract/wholesale work in the meantime. I do a LOT of that, its easy money, man. Those folks are almost like your unsung sales staff, and they like having another go-to option out there when their other printers cant work in the rush jobs (AKA, every job they have).
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »

Stupid or not, the second press WILL come in very handy like the reasons you just mentioned. I'm curious though what happend to #3?

3. Especially if another brand, It allows for even more questions posted on screen printing forums.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
I just saw a 2008 6 color MHM E-Type on the market today.. its in NY. Comes with the FPU for 36k or 730 a month leased. Wish I could get my hands on it.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »
I just saw a 2008 6 color MHM E-Type on the market today.. its in NY. Comes with the FPU for 36k or 730 a month leased. Wish I could get my hands on it.

yeah, but 6 colors is not enough. you may think it is -but man, I wish I had atleast 10 colors. flashes and cool downs kill me on a 6. They need to make a flash that goes in between the heads and flashes faster than the speed of the index. . then I can have a true 6 color machine. .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 02:59:01 PM »

A little out of my price range...

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »

yeah, but 6 colors is not enough. you may think it is -but man, I wish I had atleast 10 colors. flashes and cool downs kill me on a 6. They need to make a flash that goes in between the heads and flashes faster than the speed of the index. . then I can have a true 6 color machine. .

Biggest press diameter we can fit at my boss's place is maybe 11'. So my first auto will more then likely have to be in the 6-7 color range. I'm hoping his other business grows large enough to occupy the whole building we're sharing with it now... then we can go search for a nicer place and maybe get at least an 8 color.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
Shawn. On a typical work pattern - 5 days a week, that comes out to $4.56 / hour to own it. . .still out of your price range?. . .think about it.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »
36K is deff out of my range, yours is just right and I know the machine pretty well. If I bought yours or anyones I'd have to store it in a rental storage unit until I move into a bigger space and not on a 3rd floor like I am now.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »
Jay

he doesn't want to think about it....if he does he might succeed...and like I said before that is out of his comfort zone and he doesn't know what to feel of think....Shawn...I told you on Friday Night that I would take your call until 10pm...I even tried to call you but to no avail.  I honestly think you are content in staying where you are.  You have to get comfortable at being uncomfortable...that way you are always taking steps in the right direction...to read that you are getting a new "project" press and then in the same line saying you only are doing 1-2 jobs a week...WTF.   sell sell sell...update your website, put together some marketing materials to do an email blast.  do SOMETHING....

but from what I see you want to stay in the lifestyle are you are in now....but at least be honest with us and yourself if that is what you want...you talk about being successful and giving more to your wife and kids, but damn man alls i see is a lot of talk and no action....

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
Think I'll be selling my Jennings in a few months. Ebscreen sold me some side clamps for the workhorse. Slowly start selling off my manual newman frames and pick up some auto frames. I think this second press was a step in right direction, the wheels have been set in motion.

Socalfmf, you make things sound way worse then they are. I took your lead and email bombed my own 300 deal (300 whites 1 color 2.99 each) guess we'll see how that pans out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:35:23 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »
I guess I don't know what the problem is -if there even is a problem. Shawn -what's the problem, no work? getting outbid all the time?