Author Topic: Lawson Focus CTS  (Read 9396 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Lawson Focus CTS
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
Industrial printheads are lower resolution than Epson's and probably the HP's, but faster.
The cost difference is in the print engine. With a modified printer you have that built in.
With an industrial printhead you have to build or buy it, not cheap. Otherwise
the actual drive mechanics of nearly all are very similar.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
My concern is its accuracy.

DTG can be less accurate than CTS because it does everything on one pass (CMYK). While a CTS needs to keep the same accuracy on multiple frames.

I find DTG to be far more on point accurate than re loading multiple screens for DTS. That leaves room for re load error. It's kinda manual and leaves room for human error. That's where Tri lock will fail if at all.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
don't forget software cost either....

the rip costs money to purchase, support and maintain.

someone running something like filmmaker or accurip on the back end can likely produce a lot cheaper machine than say harlquein or wasatch or whatever the "proprietary" crap that M&R uses is  (I honestly think the worst part of the M&R devices is the rip.. everything else quite frankly is best in class, but the rip on the older I-Image and even the new I-Image ST models are far from optimal in my opinion)  I say proprietary in the M&R case as they are integrating/re-selling someone elses.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
What specifically don't you like about it that others do have?

We take suggestions and if it's feasible and in demand, we request changes. Most times they work with us and provide updates with good changes. Not all can be achieved though, depending.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 10:02:26 PM »
My concern is its accuracy.

DTG can be less accurate than CTS because it does everything on one pass (CMYK). While a CTS needs to keep the same accuracy on multiple frames.

I find DTG to be far more on point accurate than re loading multiple screens for DTS. That leaves room for re load error. It's kinda manual and leaves room for human error. That's where Tri lock will fail if at all.

oops. I mean  CTS needs to be engineered with tighter tolerance.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 12:32:58 AM »
I like this  lot, at least from the video I`ve watched and the documents I`ve read. Gives smaller shops like mine the chances to use as well CTS without breaking the bank. Something other equipment manufacturers clearly have overlooked. Heads up to fringe players like Lawson for catering for the smaller shops too.
we have a Lawson trade in you can have for 10k.
Yes. I saw that yesterday on the M&R forum too.
I would really need to get my research spot on though first before committing myself to it.
That machine looks as well huge.
I assume it works just fine?
Anyway, there is no CTS for the little guys in the pipeline by M&R?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
There are a few STE on M&R's site for sale I believe
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 07:26:56 AM »
I like this  lot, at least from the video I`ve watched and the documents I`ve read. Gives smaller shops like mine the chances to use as well CTS without breaking the bank. Something other equipment manufacturers clearly have overlooked. Heads up to fringe players like Lawson for catering for the smaller shops too.
I would really need to get my research spot on though first before committing myself to it.
Yes there is but nothing repurposed.
Rich Hoffman

Offline NZACO

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
The Lawson Focus and the Exile FreeStyler CTS are very similar … look the same, have the same HP heads … except the FreeStyler has a better rip and can accommodate any size frame including the Newman roller frames.
The biggest difference between the two CTS printers is the ink inside the HP cartridges … it is only supplied to Exile and works with most emulsions and does not soften the emulsion beside the printed area. This means when the screens are washed out, the edges of the negative stay sharp.

The FreeStyler heads are able to be changed so the printer can be used for DTG.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
I used an Epson Workforce 1100 for years for my film output.  It had its problems, it was slow and had other limits.  But my films were certainly good (not just good enough).  We recently snatched up a used 4880... Man, there is a huge difference... It certainly has less quirks and prints WAY faster.

How much of a premium is it worth though?  At our volume the 1100 would be fine, especially if we took care of it like we should have for our purposes.  But at some point the minor hassles become too much, the slow print speeds aren't acceptable, the cost in sheets vs rolls become an issue.  But for many that 1100 is just fine.

Another angle is I drove my brother's Acura TL for about a week... It's about 7 years old, but man, it felt tight and nice... Very surprising given the age and I know he doesn't baby it or really take care of it well.  I was curious, so I looked up the price and immediately said "well, it better be nice still for that price!"

There are subtle things that make a nice car a nice car that you don't immediately see or "get" when buying.

BUT, the $10k Kia Rio will still get you to work and back every day just fine.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 04:20:41 AM »
Please tell me more. Price point , release date.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »
The unit was released at the SGAI show in Vegas. Price is $29,995 plus crate and install. Unit is called I-Image S
Please tell me more. Price point , release date.
Rich Hoffman