Author Topic: Production Software  (Read 4185 times)

Offline AAMike

Production Software
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »
Looking for a system for operators and inspectors to plug-in their set-up/run time/down time/count. We are filling out sheets by hand and time stamping and plugging into a spread sheet to measure efficiency and calculate an incentive. I wish there was a better system we could employ. We have 13 autos.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Production Software
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
we are no where near your level, but we've been just using google sheets on tablets.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:22:05 AM »
Looking for a system for operators and inspectors to plug-in their set-up/run time/down time/count. We are filling out sheets by hand and time stamping and plugging into a spread sheet to measure efficiency and calculate an incentive. I wish there was a better system we could employ. We have 13 autos.

if I understand correctly, M&R can fit that to your press. New presses come with it and I seem to remember them saying it can be done on older presses too, but you'll have to check with them.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »

Late to the game but I may have an answer. Getting ready to do the same thing with Toggl. Cloud based time management. Will have preset setup/teardown/down time entries along with the day's jobs. Then operators simply select the option they want. Plan to periodically dump into Excel for data mining purposes....

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:09:45 PM »
Toggl looks like a great choice, but i'm wondering what are you using to give your floor ops their daily tasks, as well your screen room and ink room?
Night Owls

Offline Jfiorucci

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »
ShopWorx is the answer... Check it out!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »
ShopWorx is the answer... Check it out!
although some on here might agree, i don't.
Night Owls

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »
Shop Worx seems ridiculously over priced for what it does... (and my day job is for a company that produces ERP software for around 50% of all the car dealerships in the world )

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:31 AM »
I've ran across a lot of shops that use Shopworx. Maybe just because it's the best known so far but many people also say that it's costly by the time you customize it and it always needs customized.

For the other shop management programs, I can't say that any come to mind that I see in abundance, but I don't ask. When it comes up in conversation, I always hear shopwrox most.

I do recall a custom made shop program that a print company has assisted in building. As in paying a programmer to make a program exactly how they want it.  The owner told me it's theirs. They paid for rights to own the program. But that it has grown and grown to where he probably has maybe 20k in cost but they love it. He wanted to show it off and rightfully so. So, he walked me through it. It was really fantastic.  I asked if he was interested in selling it to other shops and he said yea, he would, but was sitting on the idea for a while. Just never really pursued the idea of selling it to others. Shame. It was really cool and functional.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 02:26:41 AM »
the best system is the one you build to fit the shop.

I've seen and used over 25 different production management systems from huge white boards with 5 color markers to 10 yr custom software development to run a 250 person corp.

Now..

Google Docs and Chromebooks.

Build your own custom sheets, databases, work orders and the calendar.. the google calendar alone is a production schedule when you factor in job time and create events each day.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »
This is the route we are looking at.

We are basing it off t-quoter with similar features, but with the ability to add features down the road.

It's a simple piece of software, but it's amazingly complex when you really look at it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »
Google sheets now has a setting to update automatically every min or hour vs just on change.   Think conditional formatting!

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
I do recall a custom made shop program that a print company has assisted in building. As in paying a programmer to make a program exactly how they want it.  The owner told me it's theirs. They paid for rights to own the program. But that it has grown and grown to where he probably has maybe 20k in cost but they love it.

That is what I want our shop to do, we use impress, but only for data entry, not scheduling, art, screens, ink, they are all on separate systems that don't work together.  I want to do the same and then sell it, but the issue is what will work for the way we do things, may not be how other people want to run their shops.  And a screen printing company turning into a software support company is a whole new set of issues.

But 20k dollars for a piece of software that works for you is pretty reasonable, we pay 8k+ per year for what we are using, and we don't even use it properly, and it isn't that great anyhow.  That up front investment will pay off exponentially as it is a 1 time fee, rather than monthly licenses for shitty software that sort of does what you want it to.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »
Shopworx for the last 6 months, first 3 months were a pain in the arse last 3 months we have grown to love it... your staff has to  want to use it properly and is not very intuitive IMO.... it is a very powerful platform if you want to deep dive into all it can do. Biggest issue we have is it does not play well with incoming orders from our web stores need $3-4K for custom EDP coding so they sync.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.