Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 2204 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Windows 10 upgrade
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »
Hey, any of you being forced to upgrade to win10, one of our computers today started an automatic win 10 upgrade, have any of you all's computer did this on it's own?

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »
I dealt with this last week. Forced upgrade. There are some tricks to remove the update causing it.  Google and you'll find the solution.
Also, one of computers upgraded overnight before we could stop it.  There's an option to downgrade in the settings once it does. The only issue is it takes about an hour to undo the upgrade.  Not a fun Monday morning for us.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 05:04:33 PM »
I upgraded when it came out. The only two things I've noticed:

My Accurip stopped working eventually. But this was only after I tried to switch the printer it is set to.

My Quickbooks 2014 is very difficult to open. It takes some finagling but still works. I will need to upgrade to 2016 soon.

Not sure if these are Windows 10 related, but I'm assuming it is. Otherwise it's better than Windows 8, which was horrible.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »
Go in the control panel and turn off automatic updates. The shipping laptop at the shop decided to auto update and it's now a brick. My buddy was pissed, threw the dam thing into the wall and stormed out to find a new used lappy.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »
Go in the control panel and turn off automatic updates. The shipping laptop at the shop decided to auto update and it's now a brick. My buddy was pissed, threw the dam thing into the wall and stormed out to find a new used lappy.

That usually works...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
If you have upgraded within the last 30 days it is pretty easy to get back to your previous version.  I did it on 4 systems without any trouble.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html

I also recommend this second set of directions for those that are tired of seeing the pop up to upgrade.  Also used this on about a dozen systems without issue.

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

Best of luck.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 06:25:57 PM »
We run four Windows machines and they all upgraded automatically. 3 of them during the night and one during lunch break. My parents also have Windows laptops and they both upgraded automatically.

Of these 6 machines, they ALL gave problems after the upgrade with Outlook (couldn't open the profile). Mine (Virtual Machine) is still buggy and giving problems

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 07:03:43 PM »
probably the same as one the instructions posted, but last weekend, I went and removed the actual update (it had not installed yet, but was nagging more and more).
I went to Control Panel/Programs/Installed Updates, then searched and located Update KB3035583, and uninstalled it. So far, so good, the first thing I noticed was the Windows 10 Update icon disappearing, and since then, no nags.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
This has been crazy aggressive by Microsoft. Our PC for the i-image did this over the weekend, talk about feeling sick on a Monday morning. Rob found that if you hit decline when the new license agreement prompt comes up it will reset back to previous version.

Murphy

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
http://gmailhelp.com/still-using-ms-outlook/

If not convinced after reading, just realize your outlook mail is stored ON your PC drive.  Lose the drive and without proper backup, you lose all your emails. 

And here's a similar link from a source that is NOT Google itself -

http://lifehacker.com/398778/outlook-vs-gmailthe-definitive-comparison 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:52:09 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers