Author Topic: getting to the nitty gritty  (Read 825 times)

Offline AAMike

getting to the nitty gritty
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
I was trying to calculate my ink cost on the WB/DC fluorescent to see what we were really using per shirt. I had a test job that with a large coverage area and we were laying 10 grams of WB/DC on each shirt. It was 20 cents. I took the art (one color) into photoshop and pasted it into my blank 2800 x 2800 pixel file. All the pixels in the blank file equal 7,840,000. Next I selected the pixels in my art file and it was 43% of the 7.84 million. That is my base line. The first real job I have was pasted into the ps file and it was 19% coverage for the back and 2% for the left chest. I used the run size to determine how much ink to activate. I added 15% for loss. It was pretty darn close. We had to mix up a few grams more but it will be a tool I will use for the future. Btw, we are double stroking a 196mesh on the flo DC.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: getting to the nitty gritty
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
I wish I had the time to do all that, but I've gotten pretty good over the years of eyeballing my ink use, but still something I'm sure others on this board can use great info 8)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Maff

• !!!
Re: getting to the nitty gritty
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
I was trying to calculate my ink cost on the WB/DC fluorescent to see what we were really using per shirt. I had a test job that with a large coverage area and we were laying 10 grams of WB/DC on each shirt. It was 20 cents. I took the art (one color) into photoshop and pasted it into my blank 2800 x 2800 pixel file. All the pixels in the blank file equal 7,840,000. Next I selected the pixels in my art file and it was 43% of the 7.84 million. That is my base line. The first real job I have was pasted into the ps file and it was 19% coverage for the back and 2% for the left chest. I used the run size to determine how much ink to activate. I added 15% for loss. It was pretty darn close. We had to mix up a few grams more but it will be a tool I will use for the future. Btw, we are double stroking a 196mesh on the flo DC.
This is really awesome!
I've been meaning to try something like this out for a while.
It annoys the hell out of me when I misjudge the amount of discharge to make.  Most of the time I'm not too far off, but still, it would be great to waste the least amount of ink as possible. Having a calculation to go off of instead of a good guess sounds like a better way to start.