Author Topic: TCT is the entire city shut down up there!  (Read 2695 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
TCT is the entire city shut down up there!
« on: April 22, 2016, 09:06:40 AM »
RIP PRINCE!!!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: TCT is the entire city shut down up there!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
Sorry, just saw this!

YES, friggin' street concerts, ANYTHING that has the option of a purple light, has it on purple. Damn near all the radio stations played non stop Prince tunes. It is kinda crazy, at first I thought "WOW, what a bunch of losers we are here, our one claim to fame dies and it is all anyone talks about." Then I started actually listening to some of the songs on the radio yesterday and it really was surreal how vivid some of the memories I had were from growing up. After hearing interviews and other people from everywhere, realized he was much more of a legend than I had ever realized.

We had a bit of a rainy day(no pun intended) for a bit yesterday, I kid you not, a friggin' double rainbow over his residence(depending on your prospective I guess). Some pics below-

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
I've been a Prince fan every since I heard his first song, thought he was the coolest cat around, Alex you guys are lucky to have had him whether you like his music or not, never got to see him perform live, but I've got butt loads of his alums and cd's.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
I've been a Prince fan every since I heard his first song, thought he was the coolest cat around, Alex you guys are lucky to have had him whether you like his music or not, never got to see him perform live, but I've got butt loads of his alums and cd's.
I'm not saying I didn't like him. Up here if I did that I wouldn't be around long enough to post again.... ;D

More that I just didn't remember WHAT a influence he had when I was younger. You need to keep in mind if it didn't happen in the last two days, things get foggy in my memory!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
I grew up in Stillwater and when I was 19 (1983) we used to go to 1st Ave in the hopes of seeing him. We were told that he would just pop in and perform. We never saw him there BUT did see a lot of red leather and wild hair :). That place was a freak show back then LOL

I was influenced by him as well. For example.... my motorcycle was VERY similar to his (from the movie). So much so that I actually got hit on by a girl while riding down I94 late one night. She thought I was cool, heh. We pulled off the highway and I gave her a ride around Minneapolis for an hour on the bike.

Don't get me started on the Suburbs...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 09:30:10 AM »
that looks cool, massive fan here!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »
That's the thing with Prince, you may not have liked his music, but he had amazing talent.  My dad said they would cruise by his house on lake Minnetonka, it was easy to pick out because it was of course purple.

Him and Bowie gone in the same year, that's nuts. 

Offline Northland

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
..... and some would add Merle Haggard to that list

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »
..... and some would add Merle Haggard to that list

Unfortunately, the list is even longer for us old farts, adding Paul Kantner of the Airplane and Starship, Maurice White of Earth, Wind, and Fire, Dale Griffith from Mott the Hoople, and Glen Frey
Then, even a non-hip-hopper like me knows of Phife Dawg, and there was Frank Sinatra Jr (who I never heard, but at least was not said to be a wife beater like daddy)
In fact, the list doesn't even end there, and crap, the year is still young.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 07:50:09 AM »
Andy, you are only in musicians too...it's been quite the year for celebrity deaths.