Author Topic: Creating art for Apparel tip  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Creating art for Apparel tip
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »
Apparel design tip for today

I still see many artist using black for most or even all of their shading. Black for the most part, is best left to shade gray tones and used very sparingly in color areas. Use it for shading gray shadow tones or deep deep shadows of your darker colors less on top, and more under colors.

Too much black extend over top of lighter colors creates mud on press. An example would be when creating a sand in a beach scene but you don't have a sand/beige color to use.

Mix about 60-70% yellow laid over solid white underbase, then maybe 7%-15 red,  7%-15 blue and  5%-10 black and maybe even 5% too white last. This is (all depending on what color of sand) you are going for.

Having multiple colors making up this sand color is far better than having 25% black over solid yellow for example. This gives you more control on press even though you are using more colors, they are very light and you can tweak on press each color individually.

Consider using darker Colors in low percentages on top of lighter colors to shade your lighter colors.

Consider using heavier percentages (under the lighter colors to help darken that color as well. Putting the heaviest amount (under the lighter color) creates Less of that dotty look allowing the ink to mix on press more easily.

The whole design will appear more rich in color.

Thanks
Dot-Tone-Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Creating art for Apparel tip
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »
Dan do you have a visual aid to go along with this? 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »
I'll work on one. Probably best to do a video.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline andyandtobie

• Verified/Junior
  • "They said this would be easy!"
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:24:01 AM »
Ah, fascinating.  I've wondered before if I should be using more red and blue in areas where I'm using black.  Thanks, Dan!

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 02:08:33 AM »
I was talking to an artist and she said Black is a big No no...because it kills the colours.

I looked at some youtube clips to better understand many years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJRL1JukDU

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »
If you have a PMS book, note the middle color is pure; as you go up white is added, and go down, black is added, both serve the function of "graying" the pure color...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't